Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Marktait

5400RPM or 7200RPM

ok, i recently had my 5400RPM Seagate U series 5 Harddrive fail alltogether. Its currently at the shop and i will be getting a new one on monday. Is it worth paying £22 extra to replace it for a 7200RPM or is there not much difference in this?

Thankyou

AMD1.2 Athlon Thunderbird

Gigabyte 71XE4

Running a 850MB Western Digital as my 40GB failed frown and its horrible

512MB PC133 RAM

Windows XP Pro Platinum Edition( When i get my 40GB replaced)

get the 7200rpm drive... it's enough of a performance difference to be noticably faster. It shouldn't cost you £22 more though... it's only $17 difference at buy.com here in the US.

Shop that i got my hdd from sells the faster ones at £22 more which is a bit of a rip off but i can only get a replacement so i either have to get a 5400 or spend £22.

The difference in the past peaked around 10% but is much reduced on new disks due to higher density and to big ram caches.

Depending on your case, you might want to get a cooling HD tray for the 7200 rpm. They run quite hotter than the 5400 rpms.

My IBM 60GXP's get fairly warm, but not so hot as to be considered for the "ouch" test. My maxtor in my room PC isn't even close to being warm. It's not cold, just room temperature, if that. Being in the basement also helps. laugh

You'll be fine with 7200. I would steer clear of IBM 75GXPs still though. There were some serious issues with those drives dying after only a few hundred hours of use (i.e. a few months, less than a year, etc etc) and I have not heard if IBM resolved those issues yet or not. Any other (esp. WesternDigital) should treat you rather kindly.

/L.A

I have a 75GXP and it hasnt failed yet. However I also had a 60GX, which developed the dreaded high pitched noise after only a few weeks. I returned it to the shop and they exchanged it for a western digital after testing it. I have also read reports of old Maxtor drives too developing the noise, so I guess I would advice a western digital HD.

80% of the physical Western Digital drive is actually made by the boys at IBM - so if one is going to develop faults. so will the other smile

I got my first bad cluster on my C partition last night, when formatting it frown The 60 GXP is only couple of months old...

How should I go from here? Live with the bad clusters, or exchange the drive before it spreads?

I like maxtor thats what every comp in the house has but i have an extra drive with 2 bad sectors or clusters not sure.but have do i fix that? MAXTOR MAXTOR MAXTOR