Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AthlonFan

Change Password on other computers..

i have this problem...

on client computers, i always have 2 passwords in the shared drives, one is for sharing only and another is for full access...

i browsed client computers and i accidentally input my "share only" password. now i cant delete/paste files over the network. My question is, how can i change my passwords? i usually do this by deleting the pwl file in win9x series but dont know how to do it in win2k...

also my friend told me me to use the "connect as" but i dont know how to do it...it seems like win2ksp2 saved the password already...

or is there an option to reset the password cache? ive tried to reset passwords in internet options hoping it would be cleared but no go...

You can go to Computer Management in the Administrative tools. Then click Action..Connect to another computer. You can change users and passwords there.

but i can only see myself in there... i think it can only see NT machines?

oh man, just a little mistake and im having this problems..shucks..

So the other computers are NT4? The computer management thing only works if you connect to other Win2k machines.

If you need to connect to a NT4 machine, just copy user manager to you Win2k machine and run it from there.

Wait, are you trying to actually change your password? Or change who you are authenticated as over the network? These are two different things, and I think you mean the latter. I think you can do this with the "net use" command (do "net help use" for help on that), but clutch is the man on this stuff....

im the only one using win2k, other machines use winme...

i read the net use help but its to hard to understand for a network newbie..

isnt there any proggy which i can use to reset ALL passwords, even the admin? or where to find that network password cache? i would even risk of deleting it for it to be reset...

cuviper,

yes, i mean the latter part...

smile

Unfortunately, I have been using NT/2K/XP boxes in a domain for so long that I can't remember the last time I used share permissions. I *thought* that if you were to simply change the password on the share, the next time a given client were to connect it would get prompted for a new set of credentials. Also, if you just try mapping the drive, I think the "Connect As" function will work again as well.

As for system management, you can use the computer manager as initially described by kgeissler to manage systems of the same version or older (I am not sure about a Win2K box connecting to XP yet, I haven't tried that). I regularly create shares and manage services on NT/2K/XP systems from my XP box using that method.