Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
boobear

Alice in Win2k

I must be the *only* person who's had trouble with this game. I've tried installing it several times, and no matter what I do it just will not work! I had it running on a system with Windows ME on it and that was fine. But now that I've upgraded to Windows 2000 Professional I can't play my favorite game! Every time I try to start up a new game, I get a blank grey screen that just sits there, and eventually an error message pops up, saying the executable file has caused an error and the program is being shut down. What am I doing wrong?

If anybody could possibly shed some light on this for me, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

The game has allways worked fine here. I don't know if i can help but can you give us your systemspecs?

Processor: AMD Athlon AT/AT compatible, 261,616 KB RAM

Also using Microsfot network to run a shared DSL Internet connection. I have two hard drives, both with plenty of space. The one is for storage and backup of important files only, the other is partitioned for system files and programs (on separate partitions). I already tried installing the game on the partition with the system files and that didn't help any. I have two CD drives, as well. One is a DVD-ROM, and the other is a CD-RW drive. I installed the game using the DVD-ROM.

This is the same system that I had it installed on using Windows ME. I'm wondering if the diffent OS, running the direct Internet connection through Microsoft networking (that wasn't on there before, either), or possibly the partitioned drive might have something to do with it (or some combination of them)?

Thanks so much for your help!

I would suggest checking your video drivers. Either get the latest ones and try them, or download the latest WHQL-certified drivers and try those. Check your sound card drivers while you're at it. Win2k is much pickier about what drivers are used with it than ME (THANK GOD).

/L.A

Continuing with Lactic's reply, I'd make sure DirectX is installed correctly too. Go to Start > Run > dxdiag & make sure you don't have any errors/conflicts. If you do, reinstall DirectX.

i dunno why i don´t get no answer on MY posting "urabn chaos in wink2k" but everbody else with similar probs get help...plz help me 2!!

What video card do you have and what drivers are you using.

If you want,the sol'n i posted for Barbie BS... should work, if nothing else does. However, you shouldn't need to run it through apcompat.exe. I run it on my win 2k system with no problems.