Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sibby

Digital Video to PC connection problem...

Hello all!

This site was recommended to me by a friend. So, I'm a newbie to this site, as well as a newbie to DV...as you will see, I haven't gotten very far.

::The Specs::

Sony DCR-TRV720

Win 2K Pro

Athalon 1.4 Ghz

512MB Ram

Dlink 3-port PCI firewire card

::The Plot::

When I connect everything and flip to VTR mode, my computer locks up. When I turn off the camera, my computer resumes it's normal state. I've tried downloading new drivers for the Dlink but none are available for 2K. Has anyone had this problem? I assume it's my Dlink card...has anyone found some good card compatabilities with Sony cameras? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

::Sibby::

Thanks for the post thatsteveguy,

No I didn't have the newest DirectX, so last night I went and updated to 8.1. I was excited because I was reading it fixes problems with DV. Unfortunately, nothing changed. Still the same problem. I turn to VTR, pc locks, turn off the camera, PC is fine.

I sent an email to Dlink tech support last night about the problem. Hopefully I'll get some kind of response. It's not a big deal if I have to get a different firewire card, I just want to make sure it works. Can anybody out there that has a Sony DCR-TRV series camcorder let me know what card they use? Maybe mine just isn't compatable???

Another thing I read last night off the MS Knowledge Base....I said your PC might do (what mine is doing) if there is a "loopback to the Bus" or something like that? Does that make sense to anyone? If so, what would I be doing wrong....I mean, you can only connect a firewire cable one way??

Thanks again though Steve! Very much appreciated! laugh

::Sibby::