Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Helmann

getting use of msn messenger for groups other than admin

wonder how i can enable msn messenger to be used by users in groups other than admin. It appears in start menu for them but doesn't seam to load. All users from administrators group can use and access with no problem. No other groups can. How can I overcome this?

Sounds like a group policy issue. Has someone setup a domain policy for your network? That person might have locked MSN messenger down. You can also create a domain policy MSC by opening a new MMC, and adding the Group Policy snap-in. When doing so, use the "Default Domain" policy (or your custom one if you see it listed or know its name) so you can see if it's being locked.

If you don't know how to get to the messenger portion, check out the post by APK here:

http://www.ntcompatible.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=18303&highlight=messenger

HTH

OK Thanx for that but... checked in group policy and couldn't find any policy regarding messenger. Also found that modifying the user configuration appears to modify the admin group. Is there a way to change the user configuration to the user group instaed of administrators??? I also looked over all the policies in computer config and user config and found that none had been modified. I don't think the group policy for messenger has been changed. I think it was installed like that. help!

check the security settings for that folder. Right click on the folder hit sharing and security. Under that make sure that the specific group of people can access it, such as power users limited users admins.