Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FearCourage

Help! Ultra/Wide SCSI and SCSI-2 Problems!

I recently purchased a IBM 9.1 GIG 68 Pin drive that was supposed to be Ultra/Wide SCSI, but instead, it's Ultra-2 LVD. Will this drive still run on my Adaptec 40MB/sec Ultra-Wide interface at 40MB/sec instead of 80MB a sec? The Lan Administrator here at work says it will work...but if anyone here knows different, please let me know.. I don't want to be out $250! I have an onboard Adaptec AIC-7895 Ultra/Wide SCSI chipset built into my Supermicro Board...

Which MB do you have again? I currently am using a P6DGU for the main system. It came w/two 68 pin interfaces on the MB. One for UW and one for U2W. However, you should be able to use the drive if you have a LVD cable. My MB came with one, the only visible difference is that the LVD 68 pin cable has a amp block on the end of it.

I have the SuperMicro P6DGS... It comes with the Ultra Wide SCSI, not Ultra2... That's the P6DGU that you have... It has Ultra2, I don't.. Mine is 40/MB sec yours is 80/MB a sec... Will the Ultra2 LVD drive work on my Ultra Wide interface? They are both 68pin..but I have the normal UltraWide Cable...not LVD cable...

It should work. Just make sure that you use an active terminator at the end of the UW cable (in case it's your only HDD) since LVD drives offer no termination onboard.

There should be a jumper to choose betwenn LVD and single ended, select single ended.

Don't forget to select a proper ID (ID 0 by tradition for boot HDD) and you should be ready to go.

These are general tips since I don't know your complete SCSI setup.

------------------

DocSilly members.bigfoot.com/~albern

Thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure that I could do it.. Looks like it's the company's loss sending me a more expensive drive, not mine. smile.gif