Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

List the problems you have had with XP :) :)

A very occasional BSOD, apparently caused by something with my the Promise ATA-100 controller. Not sure if is related to drivers or hardware. I'd like to add that I don't know if this error is XP specific, as I wasn't using this controller in my Win2000 days.

[]s Badaro

Quote:

Also it's tons faster and secure then Nutscrape and Opera in my experience.

Have you even used Opera for any length of time? Screw that authorisation crap, IE is a dog compared with Opera. 4 weeks with IE (because I couldn't be bothered installing Opera on a ad hoc XP install) made me never want to use it again.

Adobe Premiere would take up 300MB RAM, only takes 30 in 2K.

Blue Screen in some games.

Intel NIC had performance probs.

DVD ROM wouldn't read CDs randomly, works fine in 2K.

Hated all the stupid bloatware and system restore (system f^^k-up)

Went back to 2K and All problems went away, go figure.

I have Intel processors running on Intel chipsets, and even a SiS 645 with no issues using WinXP.

looks like most of the posts it seems that many of the problems with xp are from people with amd/via.

i have intel/intel and have never had any of these problems.

I have considered it to be the "Wintel" platform for so long, that I rarely consider looking at other hardware. The PC platform is generally the only one that has such loose structure for software and hardware integration, which is why you see issues with many combinations. If you were to buy a box from Sun, you will get Sun approved hardware (sometimes with proprietary connectors, such as the monitor). I remember working with Novell systems and only getting hardware and software with the "Yes." logo on them to certify compliance with them.

Its usually the Via/AMD chipsets that cause problems, on one of my machines im running a Dual PII platform (DK440LX), Onborad LAN, SCSI and sound, with ATI Rage Turbo <--(this is NOT my game machine!!). Ive had no problems at all, except that when i try to upgrade the grpahics card, my mobo gets some error (but that can get fixed), its when i fix the error that Windows XP wont boot! If i bypass it and acces eindows (without fixing the prob through my BIOS) its ok, but i cant complete POST on the next reboot!!! When i put my normal ATI card back in it all works fine (even XP says it couldnt boot up, due to some reason!).

My P4 PC runs fine, it ALL intel chipsets, but has an Adpatec SCSI controller, still no problems!!!

Well you'd think that my system would be ripe with problems under XP, but the only one I have had I didn't even know about until I was checking out my eventlog one day. Apparently there are changes in the way XP handles ACPI over Win2k, and it was trying to access something that was protected by the bios. I did an update to the newest version, and now all is totally fine, but it was super stable before.

In my experience, the biggest problems with amd/via based systems is overheating. Even with default clock speeds, with no overclocking at all, without a good heat sink, and plenty of case vantilation, they'll overheat. It's strange, but a friend of mine had a Thunderbird 1.4Ghz running on that buggy SiS735 chipset, it ran quite cool with the retail heatsink for the 1.4Ghz cpu, but the board died and he replaced it with a kt266a mobo and the cpu now runs at around 51degC at idle. Seems a bit fishy to me.

Anyway, sorry for babbling. XP totally stable here, right out of the box running on an amd/via setup.

I just got the 2002 version of XP Pro upgrade. It doesn`t put

framedyn.dll in the correct location, it sticks it in system32. Management console thing won`t work untill I put it in Windows folder.

Otherwise, XP is good. PROVIDED, the correct drivers are used.

I had a Hayes accura V92 external modem, XP installed it every time I started it. I got the internal version on that modem, exactly the same only made to go internel.

Works perfectly. They didn`t do a driver for the external one for XP.

I was running Windows 98 SE for quite some time, and had installed a neat little utility called PopupRemover to squelch the scripting virus my PC had contracted. All this util does is intercept requests to launch popups in Internet Explorer and terminate them.

Anyhow, I didn't un-install this app before upgrading to Windows XP Home (ignoring the advice XP's install gave me about this app), and when the upgrade was completed my IE was totally crippled. The PopupRemover app was not shown as running, there was no icon in the system tray, and I couldn't locate the process either. I finally found that I had to un-register the PopupRemover DLL from the command prompt using "regsvr32 /u <dll name>". This finally alowed me to delete the dll (after a reboot) and be rid of this pesky non-XP friendly app. Hope this helps someone!