Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

List the problems you have had with XP :) :)

Piece of shits toooooooooooooooooo SSSSSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW and it doesnt like the drivers for my hauppauge WinTV and Radio card. Thats about it, otherwise i love the hell out of it smile

Well, I've found that the 23.11 drivers caused many problems and in the course of trying to figure out my problem I did what was probably an unnecessary reinstall. Back to the 21.81's.

I just had to install the 4-in-1's on my duallie and it's been happy ever since. I own Via board's and am proud of it:D

So far, user error: 3, MS OS: 0.

Oh, and MS, these should be optional:

Windows Messenger, NetMeeting, MediaPlayer, Movie Maker.

Screw what people say about IE, this is the crap that needs to go.

XP is nice, but overrated.

If they took out IE, that would be the FIRST thing I installed!

You don't get the same NTFS authorization abilities from any other browser... which is very important to me.

Also it's tons faster and secure then Nutscrape and Opera in my experience.

Agreed here.

IE is the best Windows browser out there bar none.

Netscape held the crown until the release of IE4, then it was game, set & match.

Windows ever ships without IE then it's the first installation I would make.

T-Bird C @ 1.33 GHz

EpoX 8KHA DDR mobo (KT266)

512 MB DDR 2100 Samsung (2x256) CAS 2.5

1x IBM Deskstar 60GXP 60 GB,7200 rpm

1x Maxtor 20 GB,5400 rpm

Asus V7100 Pro (GF2 MX-400)

SB Live! X-Gamer

2x RealTeK 8139 NICs

LiteON 12x/10x/32x

Pioneer 16x DVD slot-in

1x FLOPPY smile

Had some weird problems with this rig and XP Pro before...mainly Nvidia related (or VIA, or both).

The 1/4 screen Counterstrike thing happened to me as well, only when I tried the Asus 21.81 drivers though. With the Nvidia reference works ok. Also I found the 12.90 to be the most stable, both under 2K and XP. 23.11 gave me instant BSOD, so forget it.

Used the default SBlive drivers first, worked ok, now using the updated ones from Creative, work OK too.

Once got a BSOD (IRQ_NOT_LESS) when trying to maximize a IE window (?!?!). NOTE: Had WindowBlinds installed with some Aqua skin...

Other than that, seems ok.

By the way, does anyone know how to get to the "old" user manager in XP Home? The one that allows you to add users and groups and stuff. PRO has it in the Management Console, but Home doesn't.

Sorry, it doesn't exist under Home. Home Edition does not support Groups and the only rights levels that can be assigned to Users are Administrator and Limited. From what I have seen, Limited is basically Power User. It may be a bit more restrictive, but I haven't seen a difference.

Windows explorer forgets the windows size. I open my computer and set the size, close it, a few hours later i open it again and its back to the default size. Any way to change the default size? Would help me a lot..

Then when I exit openGL games and their res/color depth is different from the desktop computer hangs.

Asus P2B-DS

2x P3 800

Geforce 3 ti 500

Quote:

that fukin dog
ms ditches the assistant in oxp and put the fukin dog in winxp WTF?

Use TweakUI 2.0 for windows XP to change back to win2k search mode:

http://217.8.136.112/root/Tweak_UI/

(its in Explorer and at the very bottom)

oh and btw dont forget to report back to microsoft that the search dog gotto go, at least so they dont add garbage like that in future windows products.

http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp

Quote:

I too had problems with the Detonator drivers under WinXP.
In fact all of the Detonator XP drivers caused problems of some description from BSOD's to random crashes.
I was using the 12.41 Win2k drivers for ages until the latest 23.11 drivers were released.
The 23.11's are excellent, stable, fast and I haven't had a single BSOD or unexpected crash since installing them.
I have always been very critical of NVidia's driver efforts, they tend to sacrafice stability and image quality for performance and benchmark scores, however the 23.11's are a great package.

Why did u just use the ones included with XP?

I have a TNT2 32mb card, and have had the latest Det drivers with not ONE problem, as well as the o/c reg hack, and i have my vid o/c'd as well, still no probs. Perhaps it is an IRQ issue or something?

I can't say i have had any probs with XP yet. Except security permissions in IIS!!!

that is why i got 2k back in, but with in an hour of having win 2k pro back in, i BSOD it 7 times.!!!

soon back to XP!,.

Quote:

That's the one thing I didn't try.. non-overclocking. I heard that Windows XP is picky about it, but I know another guy on this board who has his PIII chip overclocked a lot further than mine with no problems. I do plan on giving it another try after the first service pack comes out... which I hear is the end of January.

I recently bought a used P4 1.3. i had my PIII 533 @640 and no probs.

This P4 1.3 on a Asus P4S333 mobo rules, with pc2100, i had it at 1.7 with the retail fan on, and only a few degree's temp went up, and XP had no probs with it all all, did all the regular testing and such, and Xp did not once complain.

XP runs well on my comp, only problems have been compatability with a few games and progs.

Grand Theft Auto 2

Cubase

Virtual Game Station

Don't seem to work, and I've had a few issues with the Det drivers. BUt the new 23.12 ones seem to work good, the defalt drivers xp used kinda sucked.

And it automaticly had drivers for everything on my comp. But I expected that since I have a popular setup.

Quote:

Use TweakUI 2.0 for windows XP to change back to win2k search mode:

http://217.8.136.112/root/Tweak_UI/

(its in Explorer and at the very bottom)

oh and btw dont forget to report back to microsoft that the search dog gotto go, at least so they dont add garbage like that in future windows products.

http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp

or instead of installing 3rd party software, just right click on him and turn him off laugh

That will turn off the stupid dog, but it won't change the annoying search setup back to good ole' Win2k's search setup. You need TweakUI with the powertools suite to do that.

---at least i have yet to find another way.

Hi...

I cant get to work liveware 3 under win Xp.

When i try to run playcenter, surround mixer, enviromental audio or something i get an error message and the aplication closes.

Any sugestions???

Well, lots of problems to begin from something. The problem is my old hardware that does not pickup with XP very well.For example my Voodoo 3 gfx card with drivers releashed by coders and not 3dfx, the old motherboards controllers (based on 440BX chipset), the old SB AWE64 soundcard. I had a lot of crashes, BSOD's and in general system performance was not as good as in win2k.That's why i rolled back to win2k and my mind is free again.

The other system i have back home is a brand new PC built from scrach with new hw, and XP runs smooth as silk.

I guess that MS created a new system for new and powerfull computers. Let's not forget as well that XP is out in the market around 3 months now while win2k is going towards SP3, almost 3 years after it's release.

Patience is a virtue!

I have several BX-based systems that run awesome with WinXP Pro, and one is running .NET Server B3 right now quite well. What kind of "controller" problems did you have?

Hi all,

I've just installed XP and have no probs with it whatsoever. I have a SB Live card and WinTV and I have never ever had any probs with it or on a win2000 setup with either Intel or Via chipsets. My other PC also has a Live card and that hasn't had any problems either....

Chris

Quote:

I have several BX-based systems that run awesome with WinXP Pro, and one is running .NET Server B3 right now quite well. What kind of "controller" problems did you have?

I am not sure if it's a problem with the controllers, but i experienced a lot of crashes(not responding) when running windows explorer, especially when accessing my DVD and CD-RW.While win2k never caused me any problems like this, i can be almost sure that it is XP's problem. Also standby didn't work.

In general, I am not saying that XP is bad, all i am saying that for me win2k works perfectly and flowless.

Quote:

Hi...

I cant get to work liveware 3 under win Xp.

When i try to run playcenter, surround mixer, enviromental audio or something i get an error message and the aplication closes.

Any sugestions???

Have you tried running it in WIn98/ME compatibilty mode. Find the executable for that program and right click, select properties and Compatibility TAB. Change the compatibility there.

Mike

It freezes my system on shutdown. It never does shutdown, it hangs my system and when I try hitting the power button for a forced hard shutdown, I get no response from it. I have an Abit BE6 (first version) mobo with the latest Bios Flash. I have to do a "Restart" then do a hard power down at the beginning of the boot.

Asus doesn't have an XP driver for my V6600 Geforce256 Deluxe card. It accepts the one made for Win2K but my capture feature on the Geforce no longer works.

My Hollwood Plus decoder card remote control no longer works and no XP driver for it is due out anytime soon.

That's about it for me.

frown ok my computer is weird, very weird lol i keep getting a bsod randomly while im on windows xp. The error is

0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x80559401,0xF9E83BF0,0x00000000). now the weird thing is right as soon as i get the bsod of death if i will turn the computer on and it will get the same bsod when the drivers are loading and if i turn the computer off an on 11 times it works (freaky huh) and then i get another bsod and then when i turn the computer back on i get the bsod again but the 0xF9E83BF0 part is different then i turn it off and back on again then its back to the original bsod.. frown I WANT THIS STUPID COMPUTER TO WORK..mad ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE. i thought it was explorer's fault but it obviously wasn't because i am using aston 1.5 and it actually lowers the probability in which i get the bsod but i still get it :-\.

We tested XP on one of our IBM machines at work. Lasted about 3 weeks before it pissed people off so badly that I formatted it and put 2k back on. PIII with an Intel chipset. S3 Savage4 vid card. Damn thing would BSOD if you let the screensaver come on and the monitor power saver kick in. It was pissy with every anti-virus program (even the versions "for XP") except AVG. NetBeui support was very flaky. The start menu would sometimes lag for 10-seconds or so between highlighting an object and the sub-window expanding; many other issues. Put 2k back on it and it's rock solid again.

As far as the stability of Via chipsets, when my system was brand new, I had random AGP related lockups w/ my Tyan board. Then Via released service pack 4.25a and it's been 100% reliable since.

I have this weird problem with XP

Every time I try to open some of my programs, Control Panel or My Computer, it first blinks the light on my cable modem and hub for about 10 secs and then open the program control panel etc.

haven't been able to found a cure!

Anyone has a cure