Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JayJay500

Advice please: getting rid of an XP "boneyard"

Someone put xp on my computer. Unfortunately it didn't work out, so I got him to format my hard disk ©and reinstall '98, which works a treat. The problem is....I now have all these "Found.000,001" etc folders and a "System Volume Information" folder on my second drive (d) with over 1.5 gb of data. It's got stuff like .exe, .dll. and .vbs files.

My question is, if it's some sort of dump for xp after it's been uninstalled (which I suspect) is it safe to delete the whole lot?

That sounds really strange. If you packed Win98 back on, without repartitioning, then you were running Xp with fat32. Fat32 is trouble compared to Ntfs.

Yeah, chuck that 1.5gig of junk. You can scan through it with a hex editor, but it's only there if you have critical info to recover. I'd think about repartitioning if you keep poping errors on that drive.

The junk is on his second drive. So i guess he formatted his c drive with ntfs and left the second in fat32.

I'm pretty sure you can delete that 1.5gb of junk as it is not on the same drive as the operating system.

As I suspected, thanks. One more niggle....the files on drive "d" have "hidden" status. Does that alter anything?