Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mr_teddybear

CD-ROM Issues

Ok, here is the deal. I am running an AMD Duron 700 with 128mb ram on an Asus (can't remember the exact model) mobo. When running Win98, Linux, hell any other OS besides Win2000 and WinXP my CD-Writer on my secondary IDE channel is picked up perfectly. However, when I install WinXP or Win2000 it vanishes. I'd imagine it is an issue with my IDE controller, but I don't know where I would go to fix this.

Again... the things works on any other OS so it is configured correctly as far as I can tell. BIOS sees it perfectly as the Master on the Secondary Channel.

HELP!!!

Try switching from PIO to DMA through Device Manager, Ide Ata/Atapi Controllers entry. With Via drivers installed, get IDE_MPD3014.zip to install the ViA Bus Master Tool and activate it at Start up.

1st.. thank you for the prompt reply. 2nd.. it didn't work. smile

Ok, "DMA when Available" has always been highlighted. Tried PIO only with no luck (figure it can't hurt to try).

About the ViA Bus master tool thing. When I install the drivers that come in the ZIP file it kills my system. (Takes a VERY long time to load and then only displays my wallpaper and nothing else. it will show the Task Manager, but it won't let me do anything useful. eg. run programs)

When I just have the Tool installed it gives me a "Query registry content failed. Please contact with manufacturer!!" (Complete quote with bad english and all.)

Any more ideas?