Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nT4usB

NT 4.0 and 2000 Dual Boot?

Can NT 4.0 and 2000 be installed as a dual boot?

I'd like to spend some time getting to know 2000 before I install it on all our workstations. I don't really want to blow out NT on my machine just yet. Can they work and play together?

System PIII 550, 384 Mb RAM w/(2) hard dives.

tia..

c.

ed: speling...

Gosh... you'd think I'd never been on a message board before. [hangs head in shame].

Found one lengthy thread on the subject from back in June.

Thanks Brian for the reminder.

[logs off, muttering to self... search the archives, ...search the archives...]

So, here's the plan...

I bought W2K upgrade and another hard drive.

I'm going to install the second hard drive, load NT 4.0 on it, slap sp6a at it, then upgrade it to 2k.

Problem is, my sound card stopped working... So I bought the Soundblaster Live! 5.1 And can't make it work. Drivers are loaded amd working but the diagnostics says "you do not have Creative SB live! installed in your computer"... Got the latest from Creative and still no joy. Can't find SB live Liveware 2.0 anywhere.

Resource conflict somewhere...

I found "SBL51_NT.exe" in the archives and am going to try it. BSOD here I come...

[size:9]Intel SE440BX-2 MB Phoenix Bios 4.0 Release 6.0 4S4EB2x0.86a.0022.P15 Intel PIII550 384 Mb RAM. ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro AGP v4.3.3276,4.0.0 Adapter Chip Type: Rage128 PRO (AGP 4X) DAC Type: Internal DAC (350Mhz) Memory Size: 32MB Adapter String: 1002-5046-11 Bios Information BK2.0.2 VR001.001.002.002.005.025 pfso_4x0. Maxtor 91361U3-(PM) ATAPI CD-ROM: CD-ROM 50X-(PS). Western Digital Ultra ATA/100 40GB 7200 rpm. Adaptec AHA-2940AU SCSI BIOS V1.34.2 SCSI ID:3 Yamaha CRW2100S SCSI ID:5 Umax Astra 2200. Soundblaster Live! 5.1. Kingston EtheRx KNE110TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter Efficient Networks PPPoE Adapter Imation Super Disk Parallel Viewsonic P810.[/color]

With the upgrade, you don't have to install NT+SP6a. Just go 2k and feed in the NT disk when the 2k install asks for proof of previous ownership.

Thanks for the info Brian. That'll save me a ton of hassle.

re: the sound card trouble, I blew out all the Creative drivers and stuff and ran SBL51_NT.exe.

It couldn't detect the card...

I put the old card back in and it works fine.

How long do you fight an install before you conclude that it's the hardware that's bad?

Any way to check a card to see if it's good?

Now to reinstall all the cards and drivers I removed in the struggle to get the Soundblaster to work...

The install went sweet thanks to Brian's tip.

Now to work out the bugs...

Sound card doesn't work in in either OS.

Parallel (printer) ports seem to be broke as well, can't see the printer.