Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tdavie

Recommendation for 4 ch sound card that works under XP Pro

I'm looking for recommendations for a good 4 channel sound card that works under XP Pro. Currently, I've got an Aureal Vortex 2 SQ 2500, and no matter the hoops that I've jumped through, I can not get 4 channels of sound. So, I'm looking for a new sound card.

Requirements are;

1) That it works with 4 channels of sound under XP Pro

2) Good mp3 playback

3) Stable drivers

The *only* card that has come highly recommended so far is the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. I've been told to stay away from the Audigy Platinum and the Hercules Game Theatre XP. A pity, since I could really use the extra connectivity.

Anyone have any good experiences to report?

thanks for any info.

Tom

What motherboard do you have?.

Who ever told you to stay away from the Audigy is full BS that for sure.

This is my System

Intel P3 600E slot1

Abit BH6 Rev 1.0 Motherboard (Bios: BH6SS)

3, Micron 128meg SDRAM 168pin DIMM (PC133)

Creative Lab's SoundBlaster Audigy X-Gamer (Model SB0090)

Intel PC Camera Pack USB (Model: CS330)

Edimax EN-9130TX NIC (Realtek RTL8139)

Lite-ON CD-RW 12X/10X/32X LTR-12101B (Firmware: LS3J)

Lite-ON DVD 16x/48x LTD-163 (Firmware: GH4W)

Sigma Designs Hollywood Plus MPEG Decode

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 30gig 7200 IDE (53073H6 Firmware: DAC1)

Western Digital 8.4gig 5400 IDE (AC28400R Firmware: 17.0)

1, D-Link USB Hub 4 Port (Model DSB-H4)

2, Belkin USB Hub 4 Port (Model F5U021)

Microsoft SideWinder Precision Racing Wheel USB

Microsoft SideWinder Precision 2 USB

Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer USB

Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro USB

Umax Astra 3400 USB

Hauppauge WinTV-PVR Model 880 (Model: 45231, Rev. B423, Decoder: BT878a, Tuner Model: Philips FM1236)

ViewSonic G773 (Rev: 1)

Visiontek Xtasy 6564 (Geforce 3 Titanium 200)

Creative Inspire 5.1 5300

Touchy,touchy SHS. smile

Like it or not there have been plenty of complaints about the Audigy on the net and in magazine reviews. They tend to say "the Audigy is by far one of the best soundcards available today....BUT is still plagued by reports of problems from users, especially about compatibility with VIA chipsets,etc. etc. blah,blah,blah.."

Then again, if I spent that much on a soundcard I would sure as hell defend it... laughlaughlaugh

Dude, they're assuming that because of the live. I have been running Via chipsets for awhile. I have an Audigy and haven't had a signle problem with it yet. The problems you've heard are more akin to the BSLive!, which I'd stay the hell away from.

If you don't feel comfortable with an Audigy, the Hercules Fortissimo II is $60 in local stores and doesn't have Live! issues.

The Audigy is a good card, and most of the hostilities are held over from the BSLive! era. A few people have had problems, but nowhere near the amount that the Live! had.

I'd highly recommend the Audigy.

The Game Theater seems to have some driver issues last I checked.

One card I'd probably avoid is the line from Philips, they seem to have the most trouble from what I've read.

The Turtle Beach card seems to be a good bet, but I'd still go with the Audigy.

For a while, I'd assumed that a lot of the negativity that Creative Labs had gathered was at least partially due to the fact that they were market leader. But, of course as the time for my sound card purchase draws nearer, I grow a little bit more paranoid.

The connectivity is a must. I've got to have 2 line inputs; one for a tv tuner card, and another for an am/fm radio I've got permamnently hooked up as well. I was set to buy the Santa Crus, until I read that the Versa jack (which doubles as the second line in), is also the headphone jack. No go for me. I started to realize that I was left with the Game Theater XP or the Audigy Platinum/ Platinum EX.

I can't find any stores that sell the GTXP, so that pretty much leaves the Audigy (but then a small voice syats that I don't really need four channel sound in any games....).

My head is about to explode from all of the choices and information.

Tom

Brian, thanks for the correction....you are most likely right....but as with everything not every combination of hardware will work together flawlessly.

Then again maybe they just ship all the crap to us in Australia.

90% of all creative issues are with VIA chipsets. It seems EVERY person I see having issues with a creative sound card have a Via chipset of some sort.

I've owned a Philips Acoustic Edge(worked great and had very few problems) they are a viable choice but I always seem to end up going back to creative. My sblive didn't give me ANY issues in my MSI K7T Turbo however that doesn't mean some of you won't find issues.

Read this and understand why

http://www.tecchannel.de/hardware/817/index.html

I put my Audigy in my New KR7A Raid and I managed to kill it, however my sblive works flawless in it =)

I have since replaced the Audgiy and it works just dandy in this board now. I recommend trying the PCI latency patch if you have issues.

In the end I'll repeat, the MAJORITY of issues that plague users with creative soundcards are via chipset/pci bus issues with odd hardware configs. There are the occasional driver issues but on the whole creative cards work good if you know how to setup your box and know what you are doing when an issue pops up(ie you know how to troubleshoot not cry, scream and point fingers)

My setup:

Tbird 1.0ghz @ 1.4ghz (10.5x133)

Abit KR7A Raid

Crucial 256mb DDR

2 x Maxtor 60gb ATA133 HD's in Raid 0

AGP: Asus GF2 (250/420)

PCI1: Empty

PCI2: 3dfx Voodoo3 2000 PCI (2nd Montior)

PCI3: Creative Audigy or SBlive!

PCI4: ATI TV Tuner

PCI5: Empty

PCI6: Surecom 10/100 Nic

Aopen 24x10x40

Toshiba 12x DVD

May I suggest the Phillips Rhythmic Edge (PSC 703). it's a 4 channel SC with the same chipset of the Acoustic edge at a fraction of the cost. I own one and couldn't be any happier with it.

and as far as the audigy not having problems....

Go here

Creative, a serious misnomer.

laugh

Okay, I still fail to see what that proves on that link, other than people who are confused or idiots.

If you wanted us to see something, that wasn't the correct link.

If it was, that's a dumb link that fails to prove your point.

I have a santa cruz and i couldnt be happier. The thing with the versa-jack is that it can be set to line-in, analog line-out or digital line-out. So you can use it as a 2nd line-in jack you just have to set it as so with the software that comes with the card.

The only issue I have with the SB Live is an occasional pop noise, but only from the Live drive, not the soundcard...