Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fjack

lost cd rom drives

my cd rom drives disappeared when i go into device manager both drives are yellow flagged kenwood and plextor ide drives and the system wants cd rom drivers when i try to update the driver using the hardware wizard i get a message wizard cant install driver sice it doesnt recognize the cd roms i cant load drivers from cd`s any help appreciated running xp pro corporate abit mb pentium 500

Go back to W2K as your CD-ROMS are more than likely not supported with XP........mun the XP compatability checker available from Microsofts website when you are back on 2K

Good luck

If you just installed a burning software..and your CD's disapeared afterwards..only way u can get them back..without having to reformat is to use the rollback feature built into XP..as it will revert your pc back to the state it was in before u installed the software..i have had this happen to me,and it worked fine

You might try auto-detect IDE devices in system BIOS also. Then You can locate MSCDEX driver in XP database.

Some program improperly installed their Lowerfilters or Upperfilters in this Registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q270008

In Windows XP deletion of upper and lower filter keys will not remove that program unless you also delete the Service registry entries and the drivers themselves.