Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spacey

Network sharing with an Win98 Comp?

Anyone here running 2K and shares stuff with Win98 computers? I'm sorta unfamiliar with NT security and stuff. I try to add my network printer connected to my 2K computer on my 98 box and it asks for a password even though there isn't one set? Someone told me I might have to setup guest access or sumthing? I also tried to setup sharing from the 2K computer to the 98, but when I search my workgroup which does contain both computers, only the 2K computer is there?

Please help.

-SpaceY-

You have to set up another account on your Win2k computer.

Go into Control Panel/Users and Passwords. Then set up an account under the name that you use to log into the Win98 PC. I set mine up as a 'user' not a 'guest' - don't know if that would affect it.

Hopefully that should get it going for you - obviously - you need to make sure that your printer is shared.

Good luck!

Fiste

Also, once your printer is shared, you want to make sure that proper permissions have been set on it, but if you are the only one using it, then this isn't really relevant.

OK, does that mean I have to enable log in access on both my computers? Because on my 2K computer, currently I just have it auto log in as me the admin. And on my 98 computer there is no login set at all.

-SpaceY-

It has been my experience that you would have to enable login on the Win98 computer. And add the login user name to the W2K computer's list of users. This also solves the problem of trying to access files on the win2K computer and getting the password prompt.

Excellent! Thanks for the help, I added login in 98 with the same name as user on 2k....printing works good now smile.gif Yay

-Spacey-