Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jedi Master

CD Burning Software for WinXP

Hope this helps a few of you. I spent several days test driving different CD burning software for use under WinXP.

I purchased EZCD 5 when it first came out. For Win9x systems, it's fine. But, as most of us know, under Win2000 or WinXP, it can cause stability problems. Hense, needed to find a viable alternative.

Enter Nero 5.5 - reliable, stable, burns...but...convoluted interface, and limited documentation. Also, could not get it to write CD Text on

I then checked out Stomp's web site and read the documentation for both Click n Burn Pro and RecordNow MAX. CNET recommended Click n Burn for a Windows suite (and Toast for Mac). I opted for RecordNow MAX due to the broader range of features (better MP3 support, broader file system support) etc. It includes DLA - Drive Letter Access - similar to DirectCD. I opted not to install this as, believe it or not, I prefer using WinXP's built in CD writing to do backups of data.

RecordNowMAX has, so far, been extremely stable and has not produced any coasters. Very easy interface, good support for just about anything you want to do.

As an alternative to Roxio's Spin Doctor, I'm using Cool Edit 2000. This program allows you to manipulate, clean up, alter, whatever - wav and mp3 tracks. All the features of Spin Doctor and more.

The big advantage so far to the above combination has been extreme flexability and stability. The main downside is the cost - you'll wind up spending more than you would for Roxio...but, at least for me, the advantages are well worth it.

Stomp - www.stompinc.com

Cool Edit 2000 - http://www.syntrillium.com/cooledit/index.html

EZCD has also been a joke.

There full of it by say Nero can't burn DVD Nero can to do Burn DVD.

It only down fall is Unlimited MP3 Encoding so you need buy it and it called a MP3 ADD/ON pack just like MPEG2 ADD/ON pack.

How ever Nero can do some thing that other can't like VCD/SVCD menus support.

I agree there interface is real pain and there Burning Wizards kind of suck to but if you Pro who need it hehe.

> could not get it to write CD Text on

Nero enables the copy of CDs with CD Text information if the drive that will read the CD and your CD recorder support this feature. Under these two conditions, you are able to make a copy on-the-fly or to make an image-copy of CD with CD text information.

I agree that Roxio's Easy CD can cause problems, but I have had no problem with it using the following procedure to install:

First load Roxio 5.0, then the latest update on their site, then the XP Update, also on their site (do not re-boot until the XP Upgrade is finaly installed)

This has always worked for me after a fresh install of XP (important).

If you have already tried installing Easy CD without following the above procedure and are having problems, I suggest you format and re-install XP or try run System Restore to a restore point previous to your first attempt to install Easy CD, then try the above procedure.

Good luck

yeah personally i used to use EZ CD then after it started being stupid i switched to Nero, as for Mp3 support, i don't exactly understand why you need their add-on pack when you can find a codec that will do the same thing or use Exact Audio Copy and Lame. No since nero 5.5.6.4 has cue support i don't even think i will be using CDRwin anymore either.

As an epologue, I tried several different packages - Stomp's Click n Burn Pro, RecordNow Max, and finally, Broderbund/NTI's CD Maker Deluxe.

Of all of them, CD Maker Deluxe works the best. To be specific, the Stomp software had problems syncing the DVD ROM and CDRW to do a copy. CD Maker Deluxe, including it's built in packet writing, works very well with WinXP. No problems encountered (well...so far). Clean, understandable interface.

I'd say this one is a definite candidate to replace EZCD or Nero.:P

Do any of these software packages do something like 'DirectCD' does??? My version of directcd doesn't work in XP, or do I just need to buy the newest version???

CD-RW programs are often paired with a packet writing utility like InCD by Ahead or the one by NTI. For Direct CD from ECDC 5, apply all previous patches up to 5.02, then apply official XP Update and then all 5.02 patches.

Or get a Mount Rainier file system CD-RW drive (Yamaha 3200, Philips) for packet writing without software.

I got Nero with my CDRW & I like it, the 1 thing that bugs me though is that Ahead STILL haven't released a version of InCD for XP!!! If I try running the 1 they have @ the moment it causes all sorts of problems with XP, infact I think it actually managed to crash it so that I had to uninstall it from safe mode.

Their webpage still says "InCD 2.0 for Windows 2000 available!".... Perhaps it ought to say "InCD is STILL not available for any NT-based versions of Windows more recent than Windows 2000!"

Some changes have come about!!!

I used to use EZ CD 4 in my W2k, woirked in the upgrade to XP RC2 flawlessly.

When I put in XP ( retail ) I had to go to Nero because I could not get EZ CD4 to work for more than a week after installing it. EZ CD5 never worked on my computer no matter what OS was installed, and the same held true for XP. I ended up with Nero, works good.

NOW, MS has released a compatibility patch that fixes Easy CD Creator 4 in Windows XP!!!

That's right...good old trusty ADAPTEC Easy CD Creator 4 works in XP now.

Here is the patch description:

http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/RTF/en/5100.htm

Go here for more:

XP redistribution downloadable update page