Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rgodart

maybe stupid question about NAV2002

When the liveupdate fucntion expires after one year, it's sitll possible to manually update the virus definitions right?

As far as I'm aware, not any more.

You used to be able to just download the virus definition files directly from Symantec's web site, but that is now only possible for the Corporate Edition of the anti-virus software.

The update process now checks for a valid subscription, if one isn't found the update wont happen.

It costs about £10 for a years worth of updates which is absolutely nothing for another year of virus free work, I've happily paid for it the past.

Last time I was upgrading from NAV2001 to NAV2002 after 12 months so didn't need to purchase anotehr years worth of subscriptions, but once my current subscription runs out I'll happily be paying for another year.

XVI. Installing Virus Definition Files Manually

=====================================================================

If you do not want Intelligent Updater to install the new virus

definitions for you automatically, you can use the /DUMP command to

extract the virus definition files, then copy the appropriate files

to the virus definitions folder.

Installing Virus Definition Files Manually

--------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Copy the Intelligent Updater program (mmddI16.EXE, mmddI161.EXE,

mmddI32.EXE, or mmddN16.EXE) to an empty, temporary folder.

2. Launch the Intelligent Updater program using the /DUMP command.

This will extract all the virus definitions to the folder. For

example, type mmddI32.EXE /DUMP to extract the files. The mmdd

represents the date of the definition set. For example, the

filename would be 1231I32.EXE for the December 31 definition set.

3. Copy the files to the virus definition folder. If you are using

Norton AntiVirus 4.0 or 5.0 for Windows 95 / Windows NT Server &

Workstation, copy the files to this location:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs\Incoming\

NOTE: Copy the file ZDONE.DAT last. This file signals Norton

AntiVirus that the definition set has been completely loaded. If

it is not loaded last, it may cause errors.

4. Refer to the Intelligent Updater File List below for information

on which files to copy into the Norton AntiVirus folder.

i downloaded a set of virus definitions the other day to update my copy of NAV2002 as the computer it's installed on isn't connected to the internet and it worked fine.

"i downloaded a set of virus definitions the other day to update my copy of NAV2002 as the computer it's installed on isn't connected to the internet and it worked fine."

smile

Well yes, it would, you're still within your one year of included updates you receive with a new purchase.

I'm 99% sure that once your copy of NAV is more than a year old it will fail when you try and install the updates.

A post above seems to show a way around the in-built subscription check, but nobody knows if this will work under NAV2002 as it isn't a year old yet.

I've never been able to test as either my PC has been re-installed (Resets NAV subscription information) or I've bought a new copy of the software.

yeah why don't you just uninstall then re-install NAV when your subscription runs out. Then ya got another year of subscriptions =)

I'm also pretty sure that wont work either due to good old registry entries.

Bit like those trial versions of software you install for 30days.

Try and install it again 30days later and it wont let you.

I expect Symantec were getting pretty pi**ed off with people simply not purchasing what they should do.

You used to be able to simply download the updates etc, however I'm 99.9% sure that a message went up during the year saying that these downloadable definition updates would refuse to install unless a valid subscription was detected on your PC.

It might simply be a registry key:

AntiViruse Subscription 0

Which you can just change to

AntiVirus Subscription 1

I really don't know, once my year runs out I'll just pay the £12 for another years worth of updates.

well setting the clock forward a year results in a warning that your subscription is out of date, so i presume that if it expired then setting it back a little would fool it into thinking it was still running. i notice that liveupdate pops up a small window saying 'confiming subscription status' when it's run, but downloading the definitions from the website and installing should still work as there's no way for it to check the state of the subscription with an outside source wink whether you choose to take this slightly dodgy route is another matter...

"but downloading the definitions from the website and installing should still work as there's no way for it to check the state of the subscription with an outside source"

smile But that is one of the points I'm trying to make.

OK, you install NAV2002.

Your registry is updated not neccessarily just new keys added for NAV, I've seen many a program use hidden keys or reg entries that you wouldn't automatically associate with the application in question.

One of these keys would be: Installed on and a date (obviously in hex).

Then, when you download the update and install it that key would be checked, less than a year ago, installation can continue.

More than a year ago, update installation fails.

When you buy another years definition updates then the reg key would simply be re-set to indicate the new start date etc.

A simple uninstall and reinstall probably wouldn't work as the registry keys would not be removed (although not 100% sure on this one).

We'll only know once people have had NAV2002 for a year.

Quote:

yeah why don't you just uninstall then re-install NAV when your subscription runs out. Then ya got another year of subscriptions =)

Actually, they changed that. If you want to get another year free, you'll need to delete any "livereg" and "liveupdate" keys in the registry after uninstalling NAV...

i think you missed the point of my post smile i'm sure it uses a very good method of hidden keys and suchlike to hold the date the program was installed, but when the only date it can compare this to is the system date which you can change there isn't a problem.

i have a valid subscription, i download the definitions and they install fine. i set my date forward a year, NAV now thinks my subscription is out of date. i try to install the definitions and it tells me to renew my subscription. i fooled it by simply changing the date and there's no reason to think this wont work the other way round.

it's entirely possible that you could set your system date forward a couple of years, install NAV then set it back, therefore getting a free subscription for as long as you want without worrying about the date after that, but i haven't tried this so i dunno.

Quote:

i have a valid subscription, i download the definitions and they install fine. i set my date forward a year, NAV now thinks my subscription is out of date. i try to install the definitions and it tells me to renew my subscription. i fooled it by simply changing the date and there's no reason to think this wont work the other way round.

it's entirely possible that you could set your system date forward a couple of years, install NAV then set it back, therefore getting a free subscription for as long as you want without worrying about the date after that, but i haven't tried this so i dunno.

Not since Symantec has put in the livereg system. it syncs with the servers and gives you exactly a year from that date, or it syncs with the server and gives you 0 days since you didn't delete the keys.

cant synchronise if your puter isnt connected to the net, so download the definitions file then disconnect. point is academic anyways by the sounds of things as it's far easier to clear out the reg entries and reinstall every year if u dont wanna pay.