Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

Command And Conquer returns Kernel DLL error. PLEASE HELP

Hi All, I've just set up Command And Conquer (the VERY FIRST ONE) under Windows XP. Yes I know its an oooooooold game, but its also a classic and I miss playing it!

every time I try to run the game I get the following error:

C&C95.EXE - Entry Point Not Found

- The Procedure entry point SMapsLS_IP_EBP_12 could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.DLL

Anybody have a clue why it does this? I have tried both Win95 and WinNT compatibility modes and they didn't do anything. If you know how to get around this, please do help me and others.

NOTE: I already checked the NTCOMPATIBLE games compatibility list and it has nothing about this game.

THIS IS THE ORIGINAL COMMAND AND CONQUER! nothing fancy, just THE first game...

You have my sympathies regarding running the original C&C under XP. I tried running it under Windows 2000 Pro some time ago and encountered the same problem. After calling Westwood, I was told that since the game was originally coded for Windows 95, the game is looking for an instruction set that does not exist in 2000 or XP.

In simpler terms, your game is asking for something that the OS doesn't know about and as a result, you are getting an error. Only suggestion I could offer is to probably set up a dual boot to 98 and run the game from the 98 partition.

Hope this helps,

Wallace

No no no, its very simple.

Simply install the game, download and install the patch and then run the game. If it still returns the error run RA95.exe in 95 Compatibility mode.

ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/ccgold/CCGOLDXPPATCH.ZIP

I have yet to find a C&C game that wont work on 2000/xp smile Even red alert 1 will work using the original cds.

I stand very much corrected then. Heh, that's what I get for being offline so much. Thanks to M4 for posting the patch link.

Wallace

Right-click on executable or shortcut and do a properties. Then go to the compatibility TAB.

Ok, I did it all, (I'm running on win2k) and now im getting "a privileged instruction was executed at address 004dd5b4" and then the app terminates. Any bright ideas?

Oh and bye the way JP, "yet to find a game not running on win2k/kp" huh?

Well, I suggest you try The Neverhood. I would pay if you could get it to work on win2k! Lord knows I can't... frown

Im getting the same problem, and under win2k pro there is no compatability tab. iv downloaded the patch and im still getting the same problem as the other guy smirk

any help would be great!

Hi JP,

Did all you recommended, installed orgional CDs for RA 1, downloaded and ran patch, to no avail - Back Screen. I'm using win2k. There is no win95 compatibilty mode that I am aware of in w2k.

Can you help me with this ?

Creedence.

i have a different problam ithe installer open up then this message appears: "windows version 5.1 is running. Command and concuer is a windows 95 product." and im kinda confused, i run xp, can someone help meh plz?

OK, let me help here guys and gals.

First off, whether we're talking about C&C or C&C Red Alert does not matter.

Secondly, whichever you are trying to get working you WILL need the Win 95 versions of the game. The DOS version simply won't (to my ability) run.

OK, so, that in hand. Get yourself off to http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=279792 and learn how to get compatability mode going in Win2k.

Next, put your game CD in and find the "Setup95" folder, go in and drag out a shortcut onto your desktop for the INSTALL.EXE program (this is the Windows installer). Right click on your funky new shortcut and hit properties. OVer to the compatability tab and put it in compat for Windows 95. OK this. Run it, install the game (hopefully).

With the game installed, go to the installation folder, use this patch ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/ccgold/CCGOLDXPPATCH.ZIP, and now drag out a shortcut for C&C95.EXE RA95.EXE (game dependant) to your desktop. Use the same trick for compatability.

Run the windows setup program in this folder.

Now run the game. Whoo hoo - a black screen. No fear, whenever this happens you just need to hit SPACE twice (you're actually getting an error in Windows here, the 'a privileged instruction was executed at address 004dd5b4' one mentioned earier). If the app window closes to give the error in Windows simply <Alt><Tab> back to the game.

You *SHOULD* find this works, I've successfully done it on 4 Win2k machines now.

Good luck.

hey ppl ! i got C&C working 100%

but i cant get it to work in LAN

i actualy wanted this game so i culd play in LAN

please tell me how to work this out!!

all my life ive wanted to play this game in lan... ive seen it

with my brother in the early years of 1994 - 1998 but ive never got it working... please tell me if you know how to make Command & conquer 1 Work in LAN :-)

Kristján From iceland

Use Microsoft Virtual PC or Vmware if you want to play over a network.

Not sure if C&C runs under Dosbox yet but you can try it.

Yes Yes!! i know that i can run the game with normal win95 and win98 compatabillity modes...

But How The Hell Can i Run Command & Conquer 1 in NETWORK LAN

MULTIPLAYER!!! HOW ?!? i know u used an File named. thipx32.dll

Cant i get a difrent thipx32.dll That will Run C&C in MULTIPLAYER !!?!??

i want to be able to play c&c on my "compaq EvoN800v Laptop"

with "Win - Xp Pro" i need a difrent thipx32.dll file

so i can run c&c in MULTIPLAYER ! where can i find that file wich will alow me to run the game and run it in network?

i dont care about one player missions... ive completed it 3-4 times with both teams!! i just want to be able to play c&c in multiplayer with my friends and famaly :-)

Posted by: Aruze

i still can't get it to install on win2k sp4. i keep getting

Windows 5.0 is currently running. This version of Red Alert is a Windows 95 product only.

maybe the compatibility layer isn't working...?

please ... will any 1 answer plz...

1 question = How can i get c&c working in network with winxp ?

hi there i think i might have a little something for you my friend! better late than never! just stumbled across this page and registered to help!

go to this website and download the free trial software version on http://www.taltech.com/products/tcpcom.html

its a program that makes your computer think your tcp/t1 line is a serial line.

so you can have a lan game but i think only two computers but thats better than nothing!

the only other major draw back is that the trial version only works for 1 hour then you have to load it up again. so basically restart the program and c&C everygame but an hour is enough for a good game!

ill stop blabbbing.....basically download the v2 program on that website...install and then run the program.

heres another link to the page on how to set it up. really easy!

http://www.planetcnc.com/features/techtroopers/tibdawnOverTCP/

just need your ip, select a com port (3 is best) and chose which computer the host! set the baud rate as the highest

SO HERES THE BASIC THEN IM OFF

INSTALL YOUR GAME USING ALL THE COMPATABILITY OPTIONS EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW ABOUT DURING THE INSTALLATION AND ON THE LAUNCH .EXE

THEN DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL THE TCPCOM PROGRAM ON BOTH COMPUTERS

REBOOT

RUN THE TCPCOM PROGRAM AND PUT SETTINGS AS

USE THIS COMPUTER AS HOST

COM PORT 3

BAUD *HIGHEST*

AND ACCEPT

SET THE OTHER COMPUTERS AS THE CLIENT OBVIOUSLY

THEN WHEN YOU RUN THE GAME CHOOSE THE MULTIPLAYER AND MODEM/SERIAL AND CHOOSE SAME COMPORTS AND HIGHEST BAUD THATS ALL YOU NEED THEN CHOOSE SERIAL GAME

AND AWAY YOU GO! check out the second web adress i gave for the more in depth instructions if your unsuccessful

all my luck with you! it took 8 years for me to get this game running again! how sad! spread the word! IT WORKS!

any other questions email me at glen.brooks1@btinternet.com

Originally posted by JP-:

Quote:
No no no, its very simple.

Simply install the game, download and install the patch and then run the game. If it still returns the error run RA95.exe in 95 Compatibility mode.

ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/ccgold/CCGOLDXPPATCH.ZIP

I have yet to find a C&C game that wont work on 2000/xp smile Even red alert 1 will work using the original cds.

Originally posted by Alec§taar:

Quote:
Originally posted by shassouneh:
Quote:
Hi All, I've just set up Command And Conquer (the VERY FIRST ONE) under Windows XP. Yes I know its an oooooooold game, but its also a classic and I miss playing it! every time I try to run the game I get the following error:

C&C95.EXE - Entry Point Not Found

- The Procedure entry point SMapsLS_IP_EBP_12 could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.DLL

Anybody have a clue why it does this?

Because of the function call it is looking for in that KERNEL32.DLL file is not there, or returning a value that it just does not understand... so, it's throwing an "exception" & abending/crashing out on you.

Originally posted by shassouneh:

Quote:
I have tried both Win95 and WinNT compatibility modes and they didn't do anything. If you know how to get around this, please do help me and others.

Sometimes, those "compatibility modes" won't work, period!

There are some pretty "radical" differences in 9x based Os' & NT-based ones @ the Win32 API level (and most definitely bigger ones underneath that as in the case of the device driver models as well as NT having an underlying native API beneath Win32 itself).

I've run into this on & off programming myself, & it is a BUMMER trying to work around what used to work on 9x, but fails on NT-based Operating Systems.

(Which if I were to guess what 'compatibility mode' does is probably simply "fake" the environment for games that actually do checking on the Windows version in memory. That will work if say, a game was designed before there WAS a Windows XP or 2003 etc. because the game's code only detects as high as say, Windows 2000 or NT.)

* The function it's looking for? Just not there most likely in this build of KERNEL32.DLL in more modern Operating Systems than what this game was designed for...

APK

I did all that JP said to do and still got the same "kernel" message. Is Alec§taar right in that it just won't work? I don't understand. Someone please help. Thanks a lot.

Patrick

If you've put the new thipx32.dll into your C&C folder over the top of the old one, and you're running C&C95.exe (or whatever it's called) in Windows 95 compatibility mode, it should work perfectly.

I can't think of anything else that could be going wrong...

I can get it working two players (although the occasional crash or going out of sync has wrecked a couple of games).

My question is, can it be played with more than two players somehow?

Originally posted by Gingerbreadman:

Quote:
SET THE OTHER COMPUTERS AS THE CLIENT OBVIOUSLY

You're implying here that you can have more than two players?

Failing that, I would point you all towards FreeCNC.

Don't worry, it's not piracy, it requires either C&C Gold or the old DOS version in order to run). FreeCNC isn't finished yet, but I'll be keeping an eye on it, it looks promising!

FreeCNC homepage is http://freecnc-sf.holarse.net/

hello there every1 i'm new to the site and i've just bought C&C tiberian dawn and i'm trying to run it on Win XP but when i try to open the setup file the screen goes blank briefly then returns to the desktop i've done all the compatibility stuff but it still does the same thing can anyone help me?