Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ron_Jeremy

Alt+Tab combo: can it be disabled in games?

I was wondering if the Windows alt+tab key combo can somehow be disabled while I play Counter-Strike? I use "alt" to move backwards, & sometimes hit "tab" to do a quick check to see how many enemies remain, only find to find myself staring at the desktop. This is quickly follwed by a string of obscenties. Can this be done within Windows (regsitry) or 3rd party software perhaps?

IIRC, the Application Compatibility Toolkit includes this but I'm not at a computer (that has it installed) to verify.

i worked out how 2 do it with the application compatibilty toolkit 2 for xp

but i cant find the option in win2k

can someone plz help me out, cos it was very handy

Here's how to do it:

Go to http://msdn.microsoft.com/compatibility , then click on Windows 2000 Application Compatibility Toolkit 1.5 (to the right side) and download it.

Included with ACT 1.5 is QFixApp. Launch this file.

The QFixApp window will pop up. Click browse then find and select the exe file which runs the game you wish to play, and click the Open button, or double click the file. Then, under the layers tab, select Win2000 (or whatever compatibility mode you wish to run the game under) Then click the Fixes tab. Scroll down about two-thirds the way and locate IgnoreAltTab. Check the box to the left of it. This should disable Alt+Tab, Ctrl+Esc, Alt+Esc, and the Windows key. It should NOT disable Ctrl+Alt+Del. Click on the word IgnoreAltTab if you wish to read a description (in the lower box) of the fix without changing the check box. Do this to read about any other fix functions you may wish to use. Keep in mind that if you go back to layers, and click a compatibility mode, it will reset the fixes to the default setttings of the mode.

I don't know whether IgnoreAltTab won't allow one to use these combos in a game, or whether it will allow these combos, and just disable the usual windows response.

Finally, click the Run button at the bottom left to launch the game with the fixes. Don't close the QFixApp window until _after_ you close the game.

That's all there is to it.

By the way, when I use QFixApp for a game requiring a joystick (not that CS players use joysticks to play CS) I check to be sure that EmulateJoystick is UNchecked. So if you run a game in Win95/98 mode and your joystick doesn't work, be sure to UNcheck EmulateJoystick.

Especially if you're trying to get X-wing vs. TIE Fighter to run.

thnx mate. i used qfix in xp but with version 2.

i had version 1 for 2k i didnt realise there was a 1.5

cheers

ConQueso, thx for your help. That little utility does the trick, but it looks like I am forced to use it to launch the app (half-life) too. Is there some way to use this utility to force whatever shortcut I chose to run the exe to "IgnoreAltTab"?

You're welcome.

You can create fixes (custom databases) for each, and these shortcuts will use corresponding fix if QFixApp is currently running. But I don't know of a way to do what you're asking.