Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
M_A_G_I_C

Format partition with mandrake

hey im not liking mandrake and i would like to go on to REDHAT8. I have got the cds for it, but how do erase the partition with mandrake on it. I am dual booting with win98 and mandrake. If someone could help me erase that partition or just format it so i can install redhat to that partition. Thanks

When Redhat asks you, choose a custom install. Then select the option to use disk druid to manually partition. Select the partition that you had Mandrake on and click on edit. Give it a mount point of / format and voila. Finish the installation and your Mandrake partition will be formatted and install Redhat on it.....

The best way to accomplise that is to use pmagic within your win9x ( xp or whatever ) delete the partition and resize the actual one

And then get the win98 boot cd ( cause this is the only one with dos prompt ) (xp aint having none,dos at all,just cmd) and boot in command prompt ( not the setup nor w/o cdrom support )

At the prompt Write : fdisk /mbr ( mbr=master boot record ) which saved my a*s couple of times

Then the only OS that'll exist ( and boots auto ) will be your 1st one.

Farewell friend.

punkisdeads solution is probably easier...

The Red Hat installer will replace the bootloader and it's partitioning tools will reformat the partition. PQMagic costs money, involves multiple reboots and versions prior to and including 7 (I'm not sure about 8) will choke on the newer Linux journaling filesystems.