Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
brainsoft

Why was my thread locked?

I would appreciated it if I were informed when a thread of mine is closed, and a reason for it being closed.

The link is NOT *****. I couldn't understand any of your other messages, the english was too broken.

If my thread in the Win2k APPz forum is closed, why is it set sticky? I was doing a good thing for many people, I know many people who wanted to use WMP 8, but use Win2k.

Even if you feel my threads promote "*****", that is no reason to delete the entire thing, simply removing the link would suffice.

I am not entirely sure, but I am under the impression that it was done by SHS. If it was, I believe he has his reasons (even if they were a little hard to understand at the time :)).

brainsoft I toll you to stop post link to wa@ez site.

I say it more time there is no Windows Media Player 8 for Win2000 it only for WinXP that is the only official support for WMP8..

Q: Will there be a Windows Media Player 8 for Windows2000.

A: NO as in NEVER.

1) Voodoofiles is NOT a wares site!!!! It is a computer tweak/support site! With that logic, I could just as easily call THIS site a ***** site, because I KNOW half the people didn't and never will pay for XP. That's life though. I found that file with google, just as anyone else could do, no wares connections are required. Try it yourself. Go to voodoofiles and search for "windows media player". Now, what is illegal about that?

2) There are a lot of things not supported by MS. I don't see you closing threads to about PowerToys though! Or, if you use your arguement that Powertoys can be downloaded from the MS site, even though not supported by them, how about that ISO recording program that utilizes XPs built in burning capabilities? That isn't on the MS site, nor is it supported by them, yet I didn't see THAT thread closed, so what gives?

3)If you plan on closing someone thread, they should be informed that you are doing so and your reasons for doing so, personally, ie by email. It is a simple curtesy that administrators owe their users, you should know that! If I hadn't been subscribed to the thread here I prolly never would have knows about it, or known that you think I did something wrong.

4) I used to be a forum administrator myself, I've been in your position, but I justified myself clearly on any occasion I needed to use my administrative/moderative rights. The messages you edited didn't even have an edited tag on the bottom of them to show that you had edited the original content, which in my mind crosses the line between moderation and a few things I've been on both ends of and really don't want to get into right now.

Is it on microsoft web site no.

PowerToys is on microsoft web site now there a big diff.

As for ISO recording program that utilizes for XPs he has the source code and got and OK from MS on it I beat you didn't know that.

I know, it WAS in the a pre-release of PowerToys, but going by your logic, it's not supported by MS and it's not downloadable from the MS site, so it's not okay. There are infinately numerous other examples, take nearly ANY support thread on this site for freaks sake. Microsoft wrote WMP8. Someone changed one little thing to allow it to run on Win2k, but for some reason my posts get edited, my threads get locked (even though one is STICKY for some freakin' reason!), and I am never personally informed of any of this. This is one hell of a way to run a forum, believe you me.

If I were a cartoon, there would be steam shooting from my ears, I am so angry right now.mad

The main problem is that WMP8 is part of Windows XP and not available/licensed as standalone version.

brainsoft you are more welcome to email mswish@microsoft.com to request that microsoft update the software for windows2000.

brainsoft it not that I don't agree with you but as philipp said.

I understand that, but I don't feel that that is any reason to edit and lock my threads. If Voodoofiles was a ***** site I never would have started this thread in the first place; I agree with you in that regard. Microsoft doesn't support WMP8 in Win2k, and doesn't plan to do so, but that is no reason to edit and lock threads about it. Users want it, they should be able to find it, and find it quicker than I did if they so choose.

Hell, look in your own signature even! Unofficial software and drivers! tsk tsk!

brainsoft you are practically saying that it's ok to post links to war*z if it's not hosted on a w*rez site...

I don't have anything against wa*ez but this forum isn't the right place for it.

The point is that the hacked version of Windows Media Player violates copyright laws, no matter how insignificant the change was.

Anyway, thanks for the link smile

Brainsoft first of all check your CP as i replied to you about DiVX problem you have.

There's no need to start a war about the locked post.If the admins of the site found it that it should be locked, then they have the right to do so even if it sounds unreasonable.They build the rules and they will be in trouble if some MS guy checks out the forum and realises that there is a violation in the copyright laws, not you.

What i'm trying to say is that there's no point to continue this argument-it won't lead anywhere.Realise that there's nothing personal with you or with any other member of this forum.

Take care.

Windows Media Player 8 for Windows 2000 includes files taken from Windows XP. I know because when WMP8 was included in the betas of XP, I was basically the one who ripped it out and posted instructions on how to do it. I only did it to see if it could be done and since I do not use Windows Media Player I gave the instructions to a couple of people I know and they continued the project. Posting links to Windows Media Player 8 is not allowed due to 2 simple facts:

1. The package is mostly if not fully composed of files taken from Windows XP. If your read the EULA distribution of these files separate from the CD is not allowed. Therefore any inclusion of these files into a separate package is illegal. Since NTCompatible is a high profile site referenced by such magazines as PCGamer/Windows 2000 Magazine and across the net for NTCompatible help it's obvious why SHS does not want it posted here.

2. This is Phillip's site. Not yours. His. If he say's it goes. It goes. You don't like it? Go to iexbeta or alt.binaries or whatever IRC site you want to post links to unofficial software.

Thank you DOS Freak, that is the first coherent response I've gotten as to how it is actaully wrong.

And second, If I don't like something, I speak up. If nothing changes, I live with it, or leave. There is a LOT of unofficial software posted here though. I appreciated the first half of your reply though.

brainsoft as for unofficial or even "hacked" video drivers now that a diff story but you do have good point there but 3dfx is longer providing support so we the user have to do it and min Hardware Manufacturers don't also have good drivers support so min user mix what they think works the best and share them with other I don't have problem with that nor do the must of hardware manufacturers in fact that help them debug some of thoses problem by back tracking there old code.

This may blow you away brainsoft I have had Hardware Manufacturers send some of there user to me for HELP on old Video card/Sound card/TV card/Modem/Nic/SCSI card and lot other thing that don't have any Windows2000/XP support that need custom INF to get working sometime this works with buying newer hardware that dose have support for newer Windows OS oh even MS them self send to me.

As DosFreak said we are very high profile site referenced not just by such thing as magazines like PCGamer/Windows 2000 Magazine/Maximum PC but TV show as well like TechTV "The ScreenSavers" which AIR all over the world and not only that but Game/Applications Dev.

I just found a post from SHS where he listed his personal web site with drivers and software from Creative Labs. Now apparantly he has done some modifications to these files to make them work in Windows XP. Now WA@EZ or not, Creative Labs plainly states that you CAN NOT post thier software for download, modified or not.

Also, you need to rethink the definition of Wa@ez and what a Wa@ez web site is.

This SHS fellow sounds like an egotistical and inconsiderate idiot.

THAT'S going to far, to call him an egotistical idiot. He is far from an idiot, but he does seem like a bit of a hypocrit, for the reasons you pointed out.

Maitrix, do you really know if SHS is an idiot? He may be hard to understand, but he's no idiot.

I'm not informed on the driver situation here, but I'm kinda suspicious as to the hacked drivers. This is a high-profile site, and I don't think SHS would be doing this on purpose. And that's if they are hacked. If they are a real legal problem, I'm sure SHS will take them down.

The main point here that most people are missing is that THIS IS NOT A DEMOCRACY. THIS IS PHILIPS WEBSITE NOT YOURS. If philip doesnt like something or the mods don't like it it gets taken down, you don't like it tough sh*t, as for SHS's drivers there is a difference between unoffical drivers and a ripped WMP8. All SHS did was modify the .inf file so it would work on a different OS, that is not modifying the source code to the drivers if he uncompiled the DLLs then modified those then it would be illegal. Modifying an INF file is not, plus all the things in his package were available in the original driver package.

I also think Matrix needs to STFU because that was your 1st post so i take it you don't know the stuff that SHS puts into this site and these forums, don't talk bad about people you know nothing about.

Pretty much... Philip is supplying us with a wonderful service, free of charge. Heck, if he doesn't like the [size:18]font[/color] you use, he could ban you permanently. After all, it is HIS box, HIS money, HIS ISP, HIS software.

I've ALWAYS (for the last four years) found this forum to be a very fair, pleasant place to discuss APPROPRIATE matters... and anybody who attempted to stain that was dealt with accordingly.

I would like to thank Philip for this wonderful forum... and for keeping it respectable throughout the years. Thanks again Philip!!

BTW you may be thinking.... 4 years huh? Well why only 130 posts? hehe. I had to re-sign up this past summer frown

Good day to you all!

Quote:

I also think Matrix needs to STFU because that was your 1st post so i take it you don't know the stuff that SHS puts into this site and these forums, don't talk bad about people you know nothing about.

Well put.

Quote:

Pretty much... Philip is supplying us with a wonderful service, free of charge. Heck, if he doesn't like the [size:18]font[/color] you use, he could ban you permanently. After all, it is HIS box, HIS money, HIS ISP, HIS software.

That is exactly right. Unfortunately, if he DID run this forum that way there wouldn't be very many memebers here, atleast not intelligent ones. I for on will not participate in a forum with powerhungry tyrants for administrators, I've already left forums for less. I'm glad to see he doesn't do this.

This converstation started because SHS locked my thread, and as an admin he has the right to do that. Although he doesn't have to giv me a reason or inform me, I do feel it would be the right thing to do. This is kind of similar to stores that don't give refunds or exchanges. They are not required to do so, but it is nice when they do,a nd usually expected of them, for good business. I don't buy important stuff if I have no way to return it if I don't like it.

Anyways, unless SHS == Phillip, then I don't see why you are raggin on Phillip here, this never involved him.

If any of my threads should be lock, it is this one, now, not my other ones.

Quote:

Anyways, unless SHS == Phillip, then I don't see why you are raggin on Phillip here, this never involved him.
Phillip is the owner of the site, and is the one who has set forth these policies. SHS and clutch are the ones whom he has chosen to uphold these rules. In most cases they exercise a lot of restraint in using their admin privileges, but when it comes to w-arez, or anything that might be conceived as w-arez, the policy always has been and always will be zero tolerance.

I do agree that this post has gone on long enough though... let's just get on with our lives, shall we?