Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

IBM 75GXP 45 gig HD and WinXP: I Could fry eggs on this HD,

I have a Epox 8K7A (without the raid so no highpoint drivers)

T-bird 1 gig @ 1.4

Why is that? Does it run too hot or what? Also the 75GXP series are prone to hardware failures, maybe yours is one.

Most new high speed hard drives (7200 RPM and especially 10,000, 12,000 etc.) do run hot, due to the increased friction created by the platters rotating at high speeds. My IBM Ultrastar SCSI drive runs especially hot, I actually have two fans cooling this and my now matured Quantum Atlas II. SO in short running hot is perfectly normal, but just make sure the drives are well ventilated/cooled.

i have two case fans behind my harddrives and both are cold to the touch.. note not hot or warm, actually cold. and i have a 75gxp that you mentioned and a WD 100gb caviar. both are near one another..

so basically all that this tells you is that by using two simple case fans directly behind your drives you should be able to cool them down substatially, most cases nowadays have HD areas in back along with Fan spots on the case for fan placement, this is the best place to put a HD, with the fans sucking air out of case .

And no your drives shouldent be that hot.. unless there is quite possibly some bearing problem causing increased friction and heat..

question is your drive all of a sudden really loud, (can be hard to tell sometimes expecially with all the highspeed fans in cases nowadays), if so could be a hint that your HD is close to breaking down

I'm not so sure, the heat at which the hard drive runs, can depend upon who manufactures it, Ok interested is right to say ckeck the bearings, but there are certain drives that naturally do run very hot, as I said in my last post my Atlas II does run very hot, always has done, and the drive is now nearly five years old. It is used day in day out and has never experienced any prolems, but I do tend to keep it very well ventilated, which might be why I haven't experienced any problems.

@OK,

What are the ambient and case temps at the time that these drives are cool? I haven't had any issues with my drives overheating, but I have been thinking of an active cooling situation anyway.

these drives are running cold at regular room temp. actually 1 or 2 degC lower then room temp.

as for an active solution, all you really need are 1 or two ( depending on the case you use) case fans directly behind the drives, and that should be sufficient to do the job ( if your using ATA drives, if your using 10,000+ rpm scusi drives well you might want a better alternative such as water cooling)

harddrives are all designed to dissapate heat quite well, through their top metal covering, which acts on most harddrives as a large heatsink, due to the large surface area, it dosent take much in order to cool them. as long as you leave adequate space above your drive and have air flow going over them , that should be enough in most situations.

in most cases a fan isnt even required, although it never would hurt to have one put it, expecially with these problematic IBM drives. also in order to have a cool system you should have case fans already installed anyways, and the extra heat that HD's can generate just add to the overall heat of a system, so therefore by placing the HD's in the back near some case fans you get rid of that excess case heat and help keep your HD's cool in the process, that is why most cases nowadays have space in the back for the HD's and case fans. Of course there are other solutions available for people who have their HD's setup in the front of their case.

best of luck.

I already have a fair amount of air going through my main system, but I have been thinking of redoing my home server to cool the drives a bit better. I will probably have to take a look at them tonight and see how they are running. Tnx for the info.