Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Concept50vr

ICQ and a Linksys DSL Router

I have a Linksys DSL router and so does my friend, we are unable to send Files back and forth, any one know how to properly configure this?

Nedconfused

in ICQ, go to 'preferences' -> 'connections' -> 'user'

pick under 'Advanced Users' the "Not using Proxy" option and the default "Use dynamically allocated port numbers"

that should work

I can send files to others no problem but between and behind to Linksys routers, no can go, tried all settings, any other thoughts??

Ned

I am configuring my Linsys DSL/Cable Router on Saturday. i will get back to you and let you know what happens. My friend will be installing it and he knows how to program it.

Firewall Settings Requirements:

For ICQ to successfully work behind a firewall the following system configurations must be set by the System Administrator for the systems network.

Client to server Communication:

This is done via port 5190 TCP to login.icq.com (please note- allow a bi-directional connection to the port for login.icq.com and not any specific IP address, since it stands for more than one IP address).

Client to client communication:

Client to client connection is done using the TCP protocol, using port range 1024-65535. This means that the client needs an open listening port within the mentioned range-- 1024-65535.

If your Network firewall settings meet the above requirements, you do not to need to configure ICQ to work behind a firewall.

In the event that your systems network has difficulty setting the above

ICQ firewall requirements you may wish to check some of the

possibilities below for finding a solution to your firewall problem:

The TCP Listening Port range is too large

Minimize the range. you can open a smaller range on your firewall, and then you must configure ICQ to work through the specific port range you have dedicated.

In the event you cannot open any TCP listening port

If you cannot open the TCP listening port but you can open a bidirectional TCP connection to the internet, configure ICQ to work with no listening port.

Note: Communication between LAN users and any Internet user who cannot open a listening TCP port cannot be accomplished. To prevent this from occurring use Socks4.x.x or Scoks5.x compatible firewalls. This requires the use of a proxy server (Socks4.x/Socks5.x.x).

The ICQ client must have access to the Socks4.x/Socks5.x.x server, and the server must have full access to an Internet connection, including opened listening TCP ports.

The Socks server acts like a bridge to the Internet and ICQ is the pedestrian. Otherwise, HTTPS will not be able to carryout peer to peer connection. This means that a web proxy (client) may relay a request to the web servers, but it will not be acknowledged by the servers, therefore no answer will be given to the information request.

Your connection to the Internet is done using IP-Masquerading

This means you cannot open any listening ports, and you need to use the basic firewall configuration. Once again,using this option your users will not be able to communicate with any user who cannot open a TCP listening port. To solve this problem use Socks4.x or Socks5.x Proxy server.

View ICQ with Socks4.x configuration

View ICQ with Socks5.x configuration

View ICQ with HTTPS configuration

If you wish to share any comments you have on this issue,

You can post them on the ICQ Message Boards.

OK, now for the easy answer. Log into your Linksys router (default IP is 192.168.1.1 if I remember correctly) and go to "Advanced". You should see a tab for "Forwarding", and using that tab enter your workstation's IP (it needs to be static so this will work) and "5190" for the port. Click "apply" and you should be set, but if not you might have to restart the modem by unplugging it and plugging it back in again (power cycling).

The whole problem that you are seeing is that the traffic is not being permitted to route IN to your workstation (or the unit is just not aware of where to send it), whereas you are able to send because default NAT/PAT configurations on low-end units allow for all access to outgoing traffic.

Let me know if you are having any issues.

Clutch, any easy way to ensure MSN Messenger Audio/Video Conferences with a Linksys Router? Zone Alarm Pro settings would be appreciated as well if you care to smile

Also, would these be TCP or UDP ports?

TIA...

I was under the impression that the newest firmware release for the Linksys router family addressed some issues with teleconferencing in MSN Messenger. However, the new firmware has had reports of problems with tracert and ping not working. There's another thread here that has a link to www.dslreports.com on a thread following this very issue. If the tradeoff is worth it to you, you might want to check it out.

I don't use ZA or MSN Messenger and its teleconferencing functions, so I can't tell you about any of the specifics for those. Hopefully someone else here can, or you can check out that other thread I mentioned and see if anyone there has more info.