Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Behemoth

SCSI terror, help!!

Just recently I was gievn an 18 gig SCSI Seagate Cheetah, and although it runs as sweet as a nut in WIndows 98, I can't for the life of me get it to run in Windows XP Pro.

With the SCSI card (Adaptec 2904, has no bios) I get as far as the XP flash screen and then I get a stop error message saying there's soemthing not right with ntfs.sys. I even tried re-installing XP over the top of my existing setup, but I get the same error message.

So in desparation I took my new 40 gig drive out of my system for the time being, set my 20 gig drive back as master, installed WIndows 98 and the SCSI drive works perfectly.

The only thing I can think of is that the SCSI drive, on it somewhere has an NTFS partition (must run Partition magic to find that out) and it also has a fat 32 partition (both my 40 and 20 gig drives are set for fat 32) So I'm asuming that if there is an NTFS patition on the SCSI drive that might be why there's a spanner in the works.

Anyway ideas? I'd love to get this SCSI beast working working in Win XP (well at 10,000 RPM, who wouldn't?)

Behemoth

Have you terminated your SCSSI chain properly? I used to have mine on auto but I've since found that NT sometimes has problems with that.

--Cynan.

The SCSI hard drive is the only SCSI device I have. I used to have a 4 X SCSI CDR drive but that died long ago.

Behemoth

I think Cynan was asking if it's terminated or not. Whether you have one drive or several drives on the chain, the last drive on the chain still needs to be teminated. Since you have only one drive on the chain, obviously you only terminate that drive.

K

Ok got it sorted, found that there was an NTFS partition on the drive which was upsetting XP as all my current drives are fat 32, now got a sector to deal with.

Behemoth