Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bug_666

transferring a win2k install on a new box.

is it possible to put in the harddrive and then let win2k redetect all the hardware? Also, if i can do that, is there a way to wipe out the old config right before the switch to keep things clean? i really don't feel like spending 2 days reinstalling everything.

it spossible dood but whenever ive tried the system hasnt been the most stable. I prefer a clean install evvery once in a while anyway so it doesnt really bother me as ive got my mp3s and divx etc and games/apps on seperate partitions

I do this all the time.

In fact, I was forced to switch motherboards.

What you do is you create an image using a program like Norton Ghost (which I highly recommend). Then use this image to "restore" the software on another machine.

So you cna take a "snapshot" of your OS and software and settings and save them to an image. Then using Norton Ghost you cna VERY easily and VERY quickly transfer everything to a different machine and windows will re-detect youir hardware laughsmile

If you need some help with norton ghost, I will do my best, but you will need to acquire a copy of Norton Ghost for me to help you.

Hum, interesting. I do ALOT of machine cloning using Norton Ghost and NT4. It seems to not have to many problems with dissimilar hardware as their are only two HAL's, one for the single processor machine and one for the multi procssor machine. NT is not plug and play so you can force whatever drivers you want to run. You just have to remember to change the SID using ghosts ghostwalker program.

Win98 cloneing works, but only if the boards were somewhat of similar generation I found.

I have not had success with Windows 2000, are their any hints you could give me. I have found the machines to not boot ! I am using Ghost 7.5 Enterprise.

Also, and somewhat more importantly I find W2000 to be very compatible with everything but .... ITS A PIG !

I find all our W2000 installs to be quite slow, any ideas on how to speed it up. I turn off the services for Browse Master as well as the Server service, that helps alot. What else can I turn off to make these machine behalve alot faster. Also the shutdown time is ... really bad. I have been somewhat shying away from XP because as far as I know it has a poor ability to be cloned accross dissimilar hardware where NT4 seems to be so much better.

Les