Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NTGAMEMAN

win2k sp3 beta

what do you think of Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 BETA RC 3.51?

If any1 out there has it

I think it rocks

no reason to go to windows xp....i went back to win2k cause i just love it...all my games work

In windows xp some games never worked

Why does SP3 'rock' ? What does it do that makes it so much better than SP2 ?

LOL, well, you know, when you open up 'My Computer' and do Help>About Windows it says Windows 2000 SP3 rather than Windows 2000 SP2 smile

I've actually read through the list of fixes contained in SP3 (Not installed it anywhere at work, all PC's even workstations are considered way too mission critical for beta releases of bug fixes (I really find that a bit of a joke in itself really)) and I don't remember really seeing that many fixes that the average home user would benefit from.

Certainly none that would suddenly make Win2k 'Rock' now, whereas it didn't with SP2 installed.

Certainly nothing there to make Win2k 'rock' any more than WinXP either.

*Shrugs* maybe I've missed something in the SP3 contents, something along the lines of:

Makes Win2k 'rock'

Makes Win2k better than our next OS

Gives Win2k more features than our current OS

Hey i think i might just install it because i want to make it say SP3 rather than SP2. It will certainly 'rock' alot more then. I think you really need to be american to actually be able to say 'rock' and keep a straight face. frown

BTW this site rocks man, keep up the good work smile

Well, as concerned of if Win2K Rocks or doesn't Rock there might be too many different oppinions depending on the OS utlization, i.e. private ( for games, ICQ, Video Streaming and so on), and serious business application.

I'm running W2K Advanced Server and I have discovered that in comparison to W2K Pro. its much stable and reliable, althougt it benifits the same core, kernel, and engine. The last uptime for the machine I run with it was 63 hours. (Ooooh). Unimaginable in Microsofts History. Have installed XP Corporate on Workstation with AMD Atholon 1,4-512 MRam. Well this is a Christmas tree. Why? Alot of fancey and unncecessary makeups for business although the OS has the same Kernenl as W2k but it can never come close to W2k Advanced server or File Server.

SP3 for W2k? Yes, but not Beta thanks.

I'd rather wait for (.NET)than XP

"The last uptime for the machine I run with it was 63 hours"

Muhahahhahahahaa, I can picture you on stage with Steve Balmer jumping around like monkeys, praising the groundbreaking technological advance that W2K features.

.net is useless for homeusers, personally I see no point even installing it. The successor to XP, blackcomb or whatever is called, should be interesting indeed.

SP3 is more than welcomed, official version though. The ball currently lies more in the hardware companies' court (ie Nvidia). They are responsible for most of the phuckups (lockups, BSODs) of 2K or XP (see infinite loop probles). If they can get their act together and actually THINK and TEST a damn driver before they release it, it would be indeed a breakthrough.

It just pisses me off how such buggy builds made it into the open...

Things have got a lot better on my system sicne the release of the 23.11 from NVidia.

Before that I was having hard-locks in games and just generally using the PC, IE etc.

The 23.11's are 100x better than the previous WinXP drivers, but that's NVidia for you.

They are the biggest video card chip manufacturer and they really don't care how well their drivers perform - they have already got your money.

Does anyone remember BitBoys Oy ? smile

Supposedly an amazing gfx solution...whatever...

As far as Nvidia goes, I wouldn't bet that in 5 years' time they will still be on top. At least if they continue like this with 6 months product cycling. What good is a Geforce 3 Ti500 when you have $hit drivers that die on you after 1/2 hour? The sad part is that my Geforce 2MX-400 dies too after 1/2 hour or less with the new drivers (supposedly OFFICIAL). GODDAMN I AM PISSED, how can they release such CRAP ???????

Are you using a Via solution for your motherboard, Palos? Is this infinite loop BS some issue that only affects Via MB owners? I have read of a patch to address this, but it only seems to be for Via owners. I had one Via motherboard, and that was enough to make me never get another. After going right back to Intel, I stopped getting bizarre compatibility issues and performance picked up greatly. So far, most of the reports of increased performance in WinXP seems to be coming from Intel owners. If that's the case, it may be something to look at. I know that Intel may have strong-armed Via, but if the concept of nVidia releasing hardware that isn't compatible or has poor drivers burns you up so much, then why bother with Via? They are KNOWN for having issues with their motherboards having pi$$-poor performance out of the gate and needing a ton of driver releases to make them worth a damn. I understand that they are a competitor with Intel and supporting them may help ONE day down the road, but I don't have the time for that. I had the Pro 133a chipset from them, and with 2 Intel processors clocked at the same speed, using the same hardware, I would drop 8-10fps in Q3 and had similar performance issues across the board. Plus, the POS wouldn't work with a GeForce2 Ultra that I bought. I went through a TON of those stupid-a$$ 4-in-1 drivers and AGP drivers as well, but to no avail. The AMD processors are pretty nice, but I won't touch them until a fast and STABLE chipset is released for them by a strong supplier. Personally, I am hoping that nVidia can pull off a good chipset with great performance out of the box, because I have yet to see Via do it.

Yea Clutch, I have a VIA based board...Epox 8KHA (KT266 chipset). I have read on the Viaarena.com forums that the Infinite loop BSOD seems to affect not only VIA chipsets, but Intel as well. No reports yet on the NForce boards.

I agree, Athlon is a sweet CPU but what good does it do to put a 800 PS F1 engine on a Mini chassis. I am seriously thinking of buying Intel as of my next upgrade (next year sometime). I really don't want to spend hours of tweaking and tuning a phucking board with drivers and processor patches every other week!

I'm anxious to see how the 845D chipset from Intel will perform (launching Q1 '02).