Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Col

Activation problem

I'm guessing that the Applications forum is the right section to post this in. If not, then I'm sorry...

I'm having difficulty in activating Win XP Home over the internet. I've activated it in the past in this way in practically every configuraion possible (single NTFS partition, dual boot with Win 98). Anyway, I did a fresh install of XP the other day, and when it came to activation, I was told that the activation server could not be reached. This message has been displayed for the past 3 days. I tried formatting and reinstalling just in case, but was greeted with the same message. I haven't changed any hardware at all since I bought my copy on launch day.

I don't know if the fact that I am in the UK makes any difference - maybe the UK activation server is down?

So, I am left with activating by phone which poses me another question - when you phone up you are given a code based on another code with Win XP generates. Will the code I am given by Microsoft always work with the hardware I have installed? eg. if I have to format and reinstall XP in a months time but have the same hardware as I do now, can I just input the code I am given over the phone, or would I have to phone up again and activate?

Thanks for any advice you may have! smile

frown

As long as you don't change any components the code you've received over the phone should always work.