Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dood

Disappearing CD-ROM/CD-RW ... any solutions?

Problem: After attempting to burn a CD with nero or clonecd, my LiteOn 12x (secondary master IDE) CDRW drive "disappears" from Windows Explorer and My Computer. Upon rebooting, XP Pro finds new CD-ROM and asks for the XP CD to install new hardware.

And Nero does not work right. It either recognizes the CDRW as a 1x speed or a 35x (or some crazy value) speed. And it often times will not successfully burn a disc.

All was working fine for a couple of weeks. My most recent installs was a ADS "USB Instant DVD" capture device and related software, including MyDVD authoring program (maybe the culprit??).

I also recently did the WinUpdate Roxio patch.

My other CDRom drive works fine (primary master IDE).

I had a similar problem with Win2K which turned out to be Media Player 7. When I removed WMP7, all was back to normal.

Any help with this very elusive problem is appreciated.

I installed Nero but it didn't support by burner so I uninstalled it and low and behold, no cd-roms anymore, somehow Nero buggered up something in the registry and I was left up the creek without a paddle. The only solution I could I could find was to backup all my data to another hard drive, then do a fresh install of XP.

Hope you can find a better solution!!

2 week ago, I have same problem. I remove the DVD and CDRW on Device Manager, Reboot computer 2-3 times and thery appearing.

For Nero, I know for my TDK24/10/40 web site, thery have a update to 5.5.5.1 for XP

Good Luck!

Microsoft solution: check Windows XP Registry to find the two keys "LowerFilters" and "UpperFilters" in this Dword:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-0 87002BE10318}

Some programs add an extra letter in those keys and the CD-ROM disappears from Explorer. To restore CD-ROM drive access simply remove them.

Also burning cannot work correctly on many computers when the Via Ide Busmaster driver and the full Creative Play Center are both present and active.

Yep I did the VIA bus thing and now my burner does not work right at all. Nero and fireburner work great but just reading a CD is very hard..

which version of nero are you using? 5.0x or 5.51x?

i know that 5 has problems with 5.0x.

maybe you already tried but just to make sure, download the latest nero which works with XP properly which is 5.5

hope that helps

I finally got my problem fixed.

My system:

Gateway 6400 server w/SCSI

SCSI HDD

Motherboard IDE: factory CDR on primary master, Liteon 12x CDRW on secondary master

Maxtor PCI Ultra100/IDE card with two HDDs.

Soundblaster Live Value

1394 firewire PCI card

No other hardware

WinXP Pro

My inconclusive findings:

1) Clean install from format did NOT fix the problem. My LiteOn 12x burner was still NOT recognized as a CDRW.

2) The "upperlimit/lowerlimit" registry fix did NOT fix anything.

3) Initial install of MS CDRW update patch did NOT fix the problem. XP burning capabilities failed at this point.

4) Uninstall of MS CDRW patch and REINSTALL of MS CDRW patch seemed to fix everything. Why would this procedure work????

Now the XP burning function works proplerly. CloneCD works fine. MyDVD works fine for burning CDs. WMP burning works fine. I am not going to try Nero or any other burning software at this point.

Maybe it is an issue with my mobo?? SCSI/IDE configuration???

Anyway, I got it working but I'm a little gunshy about tinkering with the configuration or installing more burning software until this issue is fully understood and resolved...

I did that first before I posted. So I looked to see whats been updated and all I have there is

Windows XP Compatibility

Windows XP Hotfix (SP1) x4

I dont think its the compatibility is it? Anyway let know if you find out or anything...