Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

Does linux suck or what?

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

Thanx DosFreak. Referring to your previous reply:

Quote:
Try giving the NIC a static IP address and see if you can get it networked that way. That way you can determine if it's a DHCP problem or some other problem such as your NIC drivers.

I have been told by a Linux instructor tht it MAY be a problem with the dhcpcd client that comes with redhat-based distros like Mandrake, so I should try DHClient. I already tried forcing the statis IP trick and that did not work **shrugg**. As for netowrk gaming it doesn't seem to affect much

anyways...

the NIC seems to load up just fine but not grab an IP. I'm still open to suggestions there. The sound card SEEMS to be either a clone of or a descendant of the AC97 sound card(s) so I'll try those, even though i HIGY doubt it'll work! wish me luck!

Originally posted by shassouneh:

Quote:
Thanx DosFreak. Referring to your previous reply:

Quote:
Try giving the NIC a static IP address and see if you can get it networked that way. That way you can determine if it's a DHCP problem or some other problem such as your NIC drivers.

I have been told by a Linux instructor tht it MAY be a problem with the dhcpcd client that comes with redhat-based distros like Mandrake, so I should try DHClient. I already tried forcing the statis IP trick and that did not work **shrugg**. As for netowrk gaming it doesn't seem to affect much

anyways...

the NIC seems to load up just fine but not grab an IP. I'm still open to suggestions there. The sound card SEEMS to be either a clone of or a descendant of the AC97 sound card(s) so I'll try those, even though i HIGY doubt it'll work! wish me luck!

What's motherboard are you using? Are you using a router? If so, in you /etc/resolve.conf is the IP address (local like 192.168.0.1) for your router listed?

In you /etc/conf.d/net (location may be different on you distro), do you have somthing like

Code:
iface_eth0="dhcp"

thats not comented out?

If that's all good and you can't set a a static IP and bring up the network that way, it sounds like you don't have the correct drivers for the card. I could be wrong though; I'm no expert.

Are you tied to whatever distro that you have? If not, it might be worth it to download some live cds and see if any of them detect your network. If they do, you could just install that distro. I seem to remember the Suse live cd being good. Gentoo is the way to go if you want to learn about linux and how to configure it. Gentoo is also insanely fast compared to mandrake and suse. If you have wierd hardware though I wouldn't go with ti.

If you are having problems with sound, Mandrake use to include a utility called sndconfig or soundcfg or somthing like that that would help.

Personally, I have fully migrated my PC at home to Fedora Core 2, from Windows XP.

I have chosen to find native applications which are similar to Windows programs that I frequently used, rather than try to emulate using Wine/Winex/Cedega, etc.

If you're determined, and don't mind learning (or giving up some games) then I would absolutely recommend this.

If you do, remember to keep an open mind, because you basically need to re-learn using your computer. Also remember this; Just because Microsoft does things one way does not make it the right/best way.

I've tried Linux, and while it may be great for some people, it's not what I would consider a desktop OS. It's not the OS or the distributions so much as, like Eddie stated, the support or lackthereof. Most people use Windows for a desktop OS, and I'm pretty sure it's over 95%. Gee, who's gonna get the support first: Windows which almost all of the user base uses, or the small handful that use a certain OS. Let's think here.

Sure, Windows does have it's problems. OTOH, just because it's Unix, Linux, or *BSD doesn't mean you're going to have a better computer. If you don't set up the Linux box correctly, it can still be left wide open. The coding is imperfect just like Windows. The reason Windows exploits or other vulnerabilities get mentioned first is becuase more people are using it and more people will be affected.

Linux does not suck, however. It may very well not be the fit for you. Saying Linux sucks because it doesn't work for you is like saying all country music sucks because you don't like that type of music. Linux has it's place

Yes, that is correct, I've been playing with Linux for a little while and I would love to learn it more, but I cant get my wireless to work on it so I dont have no internet, so I'm sticking to windows till I find a way to get it to work. So, I like Linux, and I think its interesting.

"The Linux kernel is reported susceptible to multiple remote vulnerabilities in the SMBFS network file system. These vulnerabilities may lead to the execution of attacker-supplied machine code, information disclosure of kernel memory, or kernel crashes, denying service to legitimate users. Versions of the kernel in both the 2.4, and the 2.6 series are reported susceptible to various issues http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/11695/info http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/22/2351238