Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
*Iblis*

Speedisk won't install

having trouble installing speedisk from norton utilities 2002. i've tried using the nu installer or running the setup program directly from the sdnt directory. the installshield progress bar pops up, goes to 100% then disappears, then nothing happens. checking my processes shows ntvdm.exe and wowexec.exe running. i've fiddled with xp a little so it's possible i've done something stupid, but i haven't had this problem with any other program. the rest of norton utilities installs fine.

The best way you can tell if an installer is 16-bit, is to run as theme Luna, and watch the dialog box. If it looks like Luna, it is more than likely 32-bit. But if it looks like the standard pre-Luna dialog box (like Win98, Win2000, etc.), then that shows that the installer is 16-bit.

MS hasnt found a way to show 16-bit programs in the Luna theme yet.

i would hope that an installation program would not require you to have any more than the standard administrator rights! or if it did then surely instructions would be provided.

when i run the setup program, 5 processes are created: ntvdm.exe, then indented from that i have setup.exe, winoldapp.mod, _isdel.exe and wowexec.exe. a prograss box pops up saying 'norton speedisk setup is preparing the installshield wizard which will guide you through the rest of the setup process'. this counts up to 100% and disappears. at the same time it disappears winoldapp.mod and setup.exe end, a few seconds after _isdel.exe ends leaving wowexec.exe and ntvdm.exe running. if i kill ntvdm.exe then nothing happens, and the same occurs next time i run the setup.

running with the luna theme shows the progress box as being skinned. i've tried uninstalling norton utilities and removing all registry entries by hand but still no luck.

neither of the disable8dot3 registry settings are enabled.