Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EddiE314

Anyone with Red Faction Problems?

Post your problems here.

I'll return later to post mine, gotta go get a cig and try to fix my problem some more.

My problem is as follows:

After installing new drivers and the v1.1 patch the game actually plays without corrupt textures. But now the new problem is, when playing for a period of time, the game will:

Lock up for no reason.

Restart the computer.

Hang on a Blank Screen.

All of these problems seemed to be driver related at first, i tried various drivers ranging from Detonator 3's (6.62-14.60) and Detonator 4's (21.83-23.10).

The Detonator 4's seem to be the best because the game will actually play for over 5 minutes without messing up whereas the Det 3's will mess up in a matter of seconds.

Anyone else experience this??

pimpin_228 gets this error:

Quote:

Error: Unable to initialize DirectX 8.0 -- Device creation failed!

File: c: \projects\RF_PC\vsdk\gr\directx\gr_direct3d.cpp - Line: 1872

A critical error has occured. The program cannot continue to run.

Press ok to exit the program.

Usual story. Eidos did it ("we don't support XP") with Project Eden, although they did later release a patch to make it work under XP so I have to give them credit for that.

Quote:

Error: Unable to initialize DirectX 8.0 -- Device creation failed!
File: c: \projects\RF_PC\vsdk\gr\directx\gr_direct3d.cpp - Line: 1872

A critical error has occured. The program cannot continue to run.
Press ok to exit the program.

I used to see this problem posted all the time on the games official forum... Its caused by having drivers that don't support all the DirectX 8 stuff the game needs. In nearly all cases the problem was solved by a driver upgrade.

Admiral LSD: Yes, that is very true and what fixed it the time i saw it, but i still can't keep Windows XP from Locking up when playing Red Faction.

EddiE314 did really send the reply to them?.

If so LoL

I played the game upon release and it was buggy. memory usage exceeded 650+m at time (when I checked...may have gone higher) also it would chug at times due to the excessive memory usage so I would have to quit and reload. Also it would hang and I would have to ctrl+alt+del and reload. All in all from start to finish I would say I had to reload AVP2 20+ times due to it's bugginess. Fortunately it never once crashed windows itself so it was a simple matter to start the game back up again. smile Haven't tried the patch because I've already beaten the game.

mmmm ive just bought the game and im running XP everything is running fine on a kyro2 i think that nvidia is fukin up there drivers :P

I don't have any probs with RF with Windows XP Home. Smooth from start to finish..

System: Athlon slot A 850 mhz

KX133 chipset w/4in1427v(a),VAGP410,IDE_MPD3014

256mb Kinmax SDRAM CAS2 CLK2 PC133

Gforce2 GTS/Pro Nvidia Ref Win2000/XP 23.11

Soundblaster Live X Gamer 5.1 XP/5.12.01.3210

No problems with RF here. Runs fine on XP and 2k and hasn't crashed once.

Sys specs:

Athlon 1GHz @ 1.4GHz

1.5GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce2 Ultra (23.11)

Abit KT7A

TB SantaCruz