Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shrink

Guys! What versions of Partition Magic work on XP?

AFAIK, version 6 will work fine with FAT32 but won't with the revisions that were made in the new revision of NTFS.

Shrink

PowerQuest PartitionMagic 7.0 + Windows XP does nothing but freeze on me. Even froze during a resizing, lost most of my data, was able to recover a few files though. Very few.

Version 7 works great under XP. That guy must have another problem or issue. No needs for patches or anything, it works great. BTW, I use NTFS and it works fine with that too.

I'm now using PM7 with WinXP, WinME, and DOS.

So far, so excellent smile

As per the problem mentioned in an earlier post, I'm not really sure what could be causing that, though I did have a bit of an experience like that at first.

Originally, I had set up a few partitions with FDISK. When I installed PM, and tried to edit those partitions, everything went to heck in a handbasket, and I had to load FDISK and wipe everything (delete all partitions); after that, I booted from the PM recovery disks, made my partitions from scratch in PM, and everything has been running smoothly since.

So, I guess, perhaps it helps if you start with a fresh, unpartitioned disk for PM to go at?

Just my own experience.

Cyas smile

PM7 works excellent here. I've been messing with partitions a lot of times, it never failed.

If you own Partition Magic 7 there's a patch on their web site

https://order.powerquest.com/scripts/web...ode=PM701UPDATE

(that's for version 7.0 International English)

Alternatively go here: http://www.powerquest.com/updates/

If you have Partition Magic Pro 7 then there aren't any updates and since it's got the "Designed for Windows XP" logo on their front page I don't think you should have a problem with it.

My friend had a problem similar to JBrave, but that was because of a dying IBM drive.

Hope this helps,

Patrick

Thanks for the update link! smile

I didn't realize it was available.

What a hassle to download it though laugh