Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Frank

Radeon 8500, so far, so good...

Welp, it's probably been easy to tell I haven't been exactly pleased with ATI in the past. Their major achilles heel, drivers, seems to be remedied for the 8500's very latest, not-yet-offically-certified, drivers for XP run smooth so far. I think that you guys will be very pleased with this card now that ATI has whipped the driver development team to at least put out drivers that don't suck A$$ everytime. The drivers dated Nov. 13 are good so far. 5800 3dmark 2001 default settings with an 800MHz CPU. w00t!

Why did you get an ATI card? You have always HATED them with a passion. Just seems like a bit of a surprise to me.

Yes why !!! If I Remember right wasnt it the same with Windows XP!!!

Regards Badboy laugh

5800 points in 3dmark 2001? This is pretty LOW for a Radeon 8500! I think your CPU is too weak for your gfx card... you should get something over 8000 point!

I get 4500 points in 3dmark 2001 with my Radeon 7500 - I own an AMD TB at 1.333 Ghz. Maybe you should upgrade your CPU wink

I will upgrade, eventually when I can get a pair of 1GHz CPU's, but this is in 32-bit, and the GF2Ti I had in their before can't touch the 8500 in 32-bit, and just barely in 16-bit.

I have hated ATI for sure in the past, but the 8500 seems to be pretty good this time around. ATI has done a 180 on the driver development here, and they've just got some minor details to work out.

I don't know what happenened up in Canada, but ATI has gotten their act together in the past month and now can do what I thought was impossible: Make good drivers.

If they continue like this, they can totally dominate the GF3Ti500, which the card can, IMO, but it's just a matter of, you guessed it, DRIVERS!

I have been noticing Nvidia's drivers as a bit of a pain in the *** lately, especially under XP. Another thing I really don't like is the drivers that are only in an executable format, not zipped up. Half the time (actually, most of it) the drivers fail to install--which truly sucks.

Well with my system I hit 8151, but I think it can do better. ATi:D has taken care of me and I am happy. My biggest kudos to ATI would be Visual Quality.

Ned

From Tom's Hardware ........

Conclusion

The Radeon's new drivers are a step forward in every respect. The performance has improved, and the very controversial 'Quake3 optimization' has been removed from the driver. A very impressive aspect is the Radeon's performance when using anisotropic filtering. The R8500 simply leaves the competition by Nvidia in the dust.

Ned

Well, you Radeon 8500 can be happy with these drivers ... but Radeon 7500 are STILL waiting for some new ones ... the current ones aren't very stable, yet frown

Quote:

Tom's not GOD, but he is a source, & one I use... I generally like his reviews.

(I bet this makes Brian feel a bit better about his purchase, I know it would me knowing that benchmark driver optimization mudslinging ATI's competition or testers did is not affecting a thing, the board is still doing well in tests WITHOUT them!)

* smile

APK

Tom is also desperate for some competition against nVidia, and has always been a fan of the DVD and general MPEG playback ability of ATI's products. They might have one set that works now, but let's see if they can keep up[censored] their drivers over the next 6 months, and see what they do when they update the product and/or release a new one.