Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Amon^Ra

XP Mouse problems solved

ok since running xp i have been experiencing problems with my mouse ie mouse accel and mouse halts etc in the half life engine.

well my friend got pissed off and started turning off services, and it stopped.

so he cornered it down 2 the taskswitch.exe that comes with powertoys and it seems 2 work for him so give that a go guys and see what happens

also use -noforcemparms after ur shortcuts 2 turn off the mouse accel

1st of all make sure enhance pointer procision is off.

that basically turns it from high mouse accel 2 very low (ie in between no and low mouse accel)

based on the logitech mouseware settings, and since i use low mouse accel normally it seems fine 2 me.

my main problem wasnt with the acctual mouse accel because once set right i acctually prefer it, but it was with the keyboard and mouse lag that often happened in the hl engine when moving strafing and using the mouse at same time.

If you are having a problem with the mouse halting, here's another possible fix. If it is a USB mouse, see it your BIOS supports it. Some BIOS allow for a USB mouse/keyboard to be controlled by the BIOS or the OS. Set it to be controlled by the BIOS.

doesnt -noforcemparms work with quake 1 and 2?

it works for half life (quakeworld)and quake 3

if i got this right, its about taskswitch.exe, which comes with powertoys. so what, if i dont have powertoys installed, but the problems also occure?

I fixed my Quake 3 and Quake 2 mouse lagging issues, turns out it wasn't the mouse but the chipset. Gotta love VIA, try the PCI latency patch for VIA chipsets. If you have any VIA based board made past 1997 [i think] this patch will work. It worked on my VIA KX133, the patch fixes sound and IDE problems with VIA and XP but also solves stability and for me got rid of the mouse lag!!!!! Download here: if it doesn't work it can be uninstalled.

http://download.viahardware.com/vlatency_v019.zip

There is an interesting read on this PCI latency problem and how it affects VIDEO, DISK and SOUND performance. Click here:

http://bbs.pcstats.com/viahardware/messageview.cfm?catid=19&threadid=8947

You can also grab VIA 4.37 if you would like as well.