Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

need help, behind LAN port block! [please read]

Hi All,

I'm on a college network. Recently, they have blocked all TCP/Ip ports EXCEPT port 21 and port 80, thus blocking all file sharing services such as Kazaa and Morpheus with it. Is there a way I can work around this? If so, How?

Please note that I don't know too much about networking. So kindly use "dummy" language in your rpely (if you decide to reply that is). Thanx.

Note: We're on an ethernet network (semi-T1) and the ports have been PHYSUCALLY blocked by the college ISP.

Please help!

I've never tried it myself, but you should be able to do this through a proxy server. I don't know about Kazaa, but I know Morpheus has an option to go through a proxy server. The trick for you will be to find an open, anonymous proxy server that runs on the ports that are allowed to you. Try searching on Google or something.... to get you started, here's a site I found that seems to have good info: www.multiproxy.org

Good Luck!

AlecStaar

, I have previously downloaded it and installed it but I couldn't figure out how to use it! A few pointers would be great (if possible). Thanx AlecStaar!

LOL that would be nice. Although judging from the way its going that aint gonna happen. I'll probably make a post to declare that I figured out how to use it IF I do, LOL

:-)

From the HTTPort homepage:

Quote:
HTTPort allows you to bypass an HTTP proxy, which is blocking you from the Internet.
So I don't think this is quite what you need, since you don't have a proxy.

I did find a program called A4Proxy which looked promising. I got IE browsing and a Winamp Shoutcast stream running through A4Proxy, but Morpheus would have none of it. A4Proxy saw Morpheus' connection attempt, but it just sat there and timed out.

So then I got a weird idea: how about using HTTPort to tunnel through the A4Proxy? Sounds promising, but I couldn't get it to work. I couldn't figure out how to set up HTTPort to do this. This idea may still end up being what you can do, but it's gonna take some work...

Good Luck!

Thanx CUViper, but you're going way too fast for me here. I can barely understand that you mean I should somehow 'hook up" a combination of both programs. You gotta remmeber here that I don't know much about netowrking. I appreciate your post, but I am no System Admin, LOL. The FAQ and help sections of HTTPport don't seem to be helpful at all. At least not in my case. All this talk about proxiesmakes no sense to me especiallysince we are not configured to use a proxy. The ISP has decided to block all ports except 21 and 80 to "conserve" bandwidth because they cannot come up with a legitmate excuse why the bandwidth cannot be managed effieciently. Anyways, I hope some day some where someone develops a program that does just that for us without us having to worry much about it.

I'm not sure if that idea of using both programs is even possible, but I will try to explain anyway....

First of all, let's define proxy. From the Webmonkey glossary:

Quote:
A proxy server is a machine used to secure and speed up traffic on a network. The server directs traffic between workstations and Web servers, filters requests made to the Web, or blocks them altogether. The server can be set with specific rules, such as blocking prohibited sites or closing certain ports. Proxy servers can also streamline network performance: For example when a user requests a Web page, the server will cache the page and have it ready if another user requests it.
So basically, what we would like to do in your case is connect to a proxy server on port 80, since that is available to you. That proxy then goes out and fetches whatever you are asking for. However, most proxies limit you to http stuff, so we still have a problem.

A4Proxy just gives you an easy way to connect to public proxies. It will find the fastest proxy it can for you, so you don't have to worry about it. You just point your software to A4Proxy as a proxy, and it will pass that on to the external proxy it found.

So, after all this, we are still unable to do anything but browse the web. But now we are limited by the proxies, instead of your admins, so that's why I hoped we could use HTTPort to tunnel through. However, like you, I cannot figure out what to do with HTTPort to get it working.

Like I said before, this convoluted idea may never work, but at the moment it's the best solution I can come up with....

Thanx for the description CUViper. It helps quite a bit. Unfortunately, like you said we don't know what HTTport does and how really we can get it working, so there's an obstacle there to go through. It should be simpler than that though. I mean think about it, we alread HAVE port 21 and port 80 open for our use. All we really need to do is either

a.) Find a way to force the programs to use port 21 or 80

or

b.) Re-route all traffic to 80 and 21 using some program.

Accrding to AlecStaar, HTTport does option b for us, BUT the question remains: How can you get the D*** thing to work! LOL

Ok ... I'm in the same boat as you truthfully ...

Now, I'm no good at this junk either, but I've been figuring out this HTTPort program ...

I really don't need this program to work with IRC, but I tested it with it anyways to see if I could actually "tunnel" something, and it worked!

If you open the HTTPort proggy up, I'll show you what I did for this ...

Under the Proxy tab, I chose a random proxy (since my school doesn't use one either, but you still need one for this proggy) the one I chose was avocado.rsmas.miami.edu port 80 ... then I went to Port Mapping tab and deleted all the junk that came with the program cause I wasn't using any of them, but that was just my choice ...

I added a new mapping, titled it IRC ... under local port, I put in 7000, remote host: hecate.ga.us.insiderz.net (just the server i use), and remote port 7000 ... and I checked Run SOCKS server below that ...

Now go back to the Proxy tab and click Start on the bottom right ...

Go into your IRC proggy (I use mIRC) ... I went under the Firewall section of the mIRC setup and checked to use it and send DCCs thru the firewall and set the protocol to SOCKS4 with the hostname being 127.0.0.1 and port 1080 ...

Clicked connect to the hecate.ga.us.insiderz.net server, and it went thru ... went back to HTTPort and under the port mapping tab, you can see the lights working ... so it worked ...

Now this program will not let you set up an FTP site or anything, still haven't tried "serving" in IRC, don't think it'll work tho ...

I'm working on getting the stupid thing to work for KAZAA, nada yet, but we'll see, at least I kinda get the jiff of how to use this by experimenting with IRC ... I can run IRC just fine even without HTTPort, but like I said, trying to figure out how to even use it!

I'll keep ya posted if I figure anything else out, as I would hope you did too!

~TB

Thanx. I don't use IRC myself, so I'll have to just work on figuring out the kazaa deal is posisble. If something comes up I'll let you know of coarse. Meanwhile, I still can't get Kazaa or Morpheus (etc..) to work. I'll keep messing with it. I'm sure somehow someway we can get the D*** thing to work!

cool TB99.... my testing routine is the same as you - I have no need for it, but I was trying to get it to work by tunneling anyway. I didn't try IRC though. That's really a pain how it has to be set up though.... I'm sure glad I don't have to do all this. (sorry shassouneh)

Anyway, Morpheus and Kazaa will be more difficult, since they don't document which ports they're using, and which servers they connect to. At least, not that I've found.

Oh, and you might wanna just forget about the local proxy (A4Proxy) until you get it working otherwise. It's not a necessary part of the equation, just a convenience factor.

I bet you Morpheus and Kazza may have some record of what port(s) they use somewhere in the registry. Am I gonna even attempt to dig through the regisrry, HEEEE*** NO!! LOL.

I may be mistaken though!

i'm using the web space provided by my ISP, ppl do have problems but usually if you hit 'refresh' a couple of times it'll load up.

yeah the server is slow, it used to be faster but the ISP got flooded when we had the typhoon so their network has been $h1tty. BTW, server being in Taiwan doesn't speed things up either, lol. But atleast they offer me with 100MB webspace, 100MB email space, 3+ gbps downstream and 256kbps upstream all for a measly US$21/month unlimited access!

Also tried fiddling with Napster, but I guess that's not even working, lol ... so that won't work ... I set up HTTPort on another computer on the network and used Napigator to activly select which server I wanted to connect to ... if there's a napigator-type program out there for Morpheus or Kazaa, it wouldn't be difficult, because it'll tell you what the IP and port is of the server. I'll explore using the Active Ports program now with Kazaa and Morpheus ... I'll post if I find anything ...

~TB