Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pmistry

WinXP and Games Compatibility

Ok, I have checked all my games in the database here at NT Compatible, and now I want some feedback first hand from you guys, here are some games that I am unsure of:

Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed, High Stakes, Hot Pursuit and 2 SE

Rune [PC Gamer says it won't work, but it runs fine under 2000 for me]

No One Lives Forever

Jedi Knight

Wheel of Time

Max Payne

Blood 2 and Shogo

Red Faction

Soldier of Fortune

I am pretty much assuming that games like Quake 3, Quake 2, UT, etc, games off of Quake2/3 engines like Elite Force, Kingpin, Sin, Heretic 2, Alice all work as expected.

My hardware is AMD Athlon 750, GeForce 2 MX [Hercules 3D Prophet 2 MX], and 512 Megs of RAM, SB Live Player 1024.

I can tell you for certain that NFS3: Hot Pursuit works since its humming along on my machine right now. However for it to find the 3DData registry keys you have to run it under either the Administrator account or with Administrative privileges by either right-clicking its shortcut and selecting Run As or by setting the shortcut to run with different credentials.

As for Red Faction well, its a bit of a gamble. The game has no inherent issues with either 2k or XP but some people have complained that it crashes or stutters and a multitude of problems.

As for the others, a general rule of thumb is that if it runs under 2k then it *should* run under XP (I had problems with Descent 2 under XP whereas I had none under 2k) and if it doesn't then theres a chance that M$ have rectified it but it probably still won't run. Try it and see but keep a dual-boot around just in case.

Max Payne and Soldier of Fortune Platinum are both fine under Win XP. I didn't bother with Red Faction under it, as I wasn't very impressed by the game.

I have NOLF but haven't tried it under XP yet. Maybe I'll give it a go soon, as I quite enojoyed it (apart from that stealth level inside the office complex).

This is on:

Epox 8K7A+

Athlon 1.2@1.4 (10x140)

256MB Crucial P2100 RAM

LeadTek GF3 (Det 21.83)

VideoLogic Sonic Fury

IBM 60XP 40GB HDD

From your list, I have successfully played NFS:PU, NOLF, Max Payne, Red Faction, and Soldier of Fortune....

Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed plays fine, straight from the CD, no compatibility fiddling or anything...at least on my machine smile

Dark Age of Camelot - Some people can run it, some can't. It's not officially supported. Can anyone help find out what the difference is?

If you can't run games like normal...try using the compatibility program that is built into XP. Its a great program! And it does work.

hmmmm, thats unfortunate ski. Just out of curiosity, what game did you try it with?

Rune works find for me..... no problems here.. using offical 21.83 drivers... nothing speical.

ASiDiE

Now that is funny . . . . under ME I could never get DID's F22 ADF to work, but in Win2K it did! Same with EF2000. Haven't tried them yet under XP, but if they worked in 2K, XP should be better.

As for the shooters - you guys have GOT to try Ghost Recon!!!! Awesome game, fantastic graphics! Makes my palms sweat. But do NOT use the UBI.COM server software that comes with it - it gives GPF's left and right! Use GameSpy instead.

I'll soo be loading AvP2 . . . . IF I dare. The original damn near gave me heart attacks when playing in the dark at night!

Ok so how did you get it to work under 2000?

Ive tried all windows versions under the compatibility thing and none of them work!! HELP lol laugh

NFS: PU and HS work fine for me. Hot Pursuit is suffering from keyboard lag at the moment.