Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DarK_SouL

Help please!

Im having lots of trouble ever since I installed XP and i think it is the USB driver, but im not sure. Here are my full system specs just in case someone had the same problem.

My system specs:

SiS620 Motherboard

Celeron 600 MHz

248 MB of RAM

WindowsXP

Disk Drives - ST34321A, WDC AC21600H

Display Adapter - SiS 530/620

DVD/CD-ROM Drivess - CD-ROM Drive/G6D

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

Primary IDE Channel

Secondary IDE Channel

SiS PCI IDE Controller

Modems - HSP MicroModem

Sound

Audio Codecs

CMI878/C3DX PCI Audio Device

Legacy Audio Drivers

Legacy Video Capture Device

Media Control Devices

Unimodem Full-Duplex Audio Device

Video Codecs

System Devices

Direct memory access controller

ISAPNP Read Data Port

Microcode Update Driver

Numeric data processor

PCI bus

PCI standard host CPU bridge

Plug and Play software Device Enumerator

Programmable interrupt controller

SIS PCI to ISA bribge

SIS PMU device

SIS Processor to AGP Controller

System Board

System CMOS/real time clock

System Speaker

System timer

Terminal Server Device Redirector

Universal Serial Bus controllers

SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller

USB Root HUB

All that info is probably very useful, but you haven't said what the actual problem is smile

Opps laugh , that happen's when you have lots of things in your head laugh.

Ok, Im having trouble with the USB, when i plug something on it, anything, it wont matter(CDR, Cammera, Printer, etc etc...) the system will hang, the only way to make it work again is to press the reset button, and unplug the device, because if i leave it plugged it wont even boot.

That doesnt sound like an XP problem, that sounds like a hardware problem.. try switching your Pc off, plugginf in the device and then back on again. If it doesnt boot from cold you might have HW issues.. Check that you have enuff power in your system, if you have any usb hubs make sure they are powered...

Quote:

That doesnt sound like an XP problem, that sounds like a hardware problem.. try switching your Pc off, plugginf in the device and then back on again. If it doesnt boot from cold you might have HW issues.. Check that you have enuff power in your system, if you have any usb hubs make sure they are powered...

How can it be a hardware problem if WindowsME works with it?

might be XP itself, you might have to actually do a clean reinstall of XP

If it still does it then i also think it may be hardware issue with your mobo and XP's drivers for your USB Controller

Quote:

might be XP itself, you might have to actually do a clean reinstall of XP

If it still does it then i also think it may be hardware issue with your mobo and XP's drivers for your USB Controller

I did a clean install, well, i guess i will have to wait until, if ever, MS release a fix..

Your problem is most likely in your BIOS settings. I had a similar problem during my install of XP. You must disable legacy support for USB in the bios. It might also be called usb support for keyboards or usb support for dos. Once that is disabled you should have much less problems. Check out Microsoft Knowledge Base Article Q282195

I disable it, and placed a usb PCI instead of the one the mother board came with, It crash less, but it still does crash unexpectelly, I have to unplug all the usb devices if I dont want problems.

i had a similar problem when i had my quickcam express on xp on my 440bx motherboard. I couldn't boot with the thing pluged in or the sound would skip endlessly and the keyboard and mouse would turn on and off (usb kb and mouse). very strange so i put the camera on the shelf for a while then i got the dual i840 setup, haven't had anyproblems with that since. Funny thing is that my i840 is generally a bit more finicky with stuff than my 440bx was (like i couldn't boot off my ide raid with the i840)

perhaps get an intel motherboard for your celeron. I betcha it is some screwy sis thing. Don't know much about sis but if it is as bad as via i think that is probably the problem.

Quote:

i had a similar problem when i had my quickcam express on xp on my 440bx motherboard. I couldn't boot with the thing pluged in or the sound would skip endlessly and the keyboard and mouse would turn on and off (usb kb and mouse). very strange so i put the camera on the shelf for a while then i got the dual i840 setup, haven't had anyproblems with that since. Funny thing is that my i840 is generally a bit more finicky with stuff than my 440bx was (like i couldn't boot off my ide raid with the i840)
perhaps get an intel motherboard for your celeron. I betcha it is some screwy sis thing. Don't know much about sis but if it is as bad as via i think that is probably the problem.

I would bought another mother board if I had the money, but right now I cant, Im jobless and without any cash to spend, so, for now my baby will stay as it is, I hope this situation dosn't last much...

The problem is with the SiS 7001 PCI to USB yada yada.... I have been having similar problems and did a lot of looking around online. It seems that the controller is not compatible with windows xp (which explains why it WILL work with other operating systems). Something you can check/try (didn't work for me). In your BIOS there is a setting for DOS USB support. Make sure that is disabled. Otherwise..the only other suggestion i have found is to buy yourself a USB PCI card. I'll probably end up getting myself one of those soon too. ( I kinda miss my USB stuff...:-p) Hope this helped ya out.