Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cynan

TV Capture Cards.

Hi.

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with both a Pinnacle Studio PCTV USB and a Hauppauge WinTC PCI card ?

I have a friend who has the first one (USB) and says the sound is always out-of-sync with the picture, however, for reasons that I'm not going to go into, a USB one would be better for my needs...

..but if it is like he says, then I'll be using the PCI one instead.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I have a Hauppage WinTV card and it works great (run it under XP)

I used the driver from Windows Update and it works nicely.

Make sure the region settings are set correctly of the channels, that often causes lots of the problems

I have a WinTV Theater and I haven't had much fun with it under XPpro. I'll explain myself: using the drivers that came with it (CD version 3.2) I had picture but no sound (and I have fiddled with all sound options and tweaks, to no success). That applies to all drivers drivers up to version 3.17 (latest, just checked smile

However, there are sometimes that the diagnostics program will report that my graphics board does not support DDraw mode (???) and it will reboot my machine every time i will fire up the WinTV 2000 app. Windwos update was not helpful at all...drivers would install, having the same effect as above.

Needless to say, the rest of my machine works fine, and I do not have any other problems with my SB live....

it think it's all down to my bad luck (i know the board it not faulty, it worked in ME and Win2000)...it could be the fact that it is the Theater model...other people with the 'plain' WinTV boards have had success....

My Theater works great in XP with the latest WDM drivers from the hauppauge website. Wintv and WinDVR work great with them, and nicam stereo still works.

bkehoe, your WinTV Theater worked straight away after an XP install and getting the drivers from the hauppauge site? I tried the latest driver (something like wdm_19300) and still no luck. Did you do anything else? And could you post your system specs please? thank you

Hi,

I had been using the old VFW drivers when I first installed, as the Hauppauge XP WDM ones weren't ready, and I had never had any luck with previous WDM drivers.

Then, when I saw that Hauppauge had posted new WDM drivers, I decided to give them a go, not expecting them to work, but surprise surprise, they worked perfectly!

I have also installed them on another pc with a WinTV-pci card, and they work fine there too (XP as well).

This system config:

Athlon XP1800+ @ 1.7GHz

Epox 8K7A+

512MB DDR

Elsa Gladiac 920 GF3 (22.80 drivers)

WinTV Theater card

Creative SB Audigy Platinum

3COM 905b NIC

2X IBM60GXP 60GB drives in RAID0 (on mb highpoint)

ACPI is enabled

The other pc is:

Athlon TBird 1.4GHz @ 1.53GHz

Abit KT7A

256MB SDR

Creative Annihilator2 Geforce2 GTS

Creative SB Live Platinum 5.1

WinTV-pci

ACPI disabled

Brendan