Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
giskard

HP Scanner issue

Hi,

I have an HP 2200c scanner which is exhibiting some funny behavior.

When it is plugged into the USB port, i immediately get hiss through my speakers. (seems to do this with the SBLive or the onboard audio). As soon as i unplug it, the sound goes away.

When i install the (latest) HP scanning software, the scanner is detected and all seems to be happy, until... i try to scan something. It starts to load the scanning software, then locks up and starts to access the floppy drive every 10 seconds and does so until i reboot the machine.

If i use the microsoft scanning wizard, i can scan pictures - but it's a crappy alternative to propper scanning software.

Any ideas? Oh, it all works fine with exactly the same hardware running windows 2000, so it's definitely an XP software issue.

Cheers,

Giskard

You might want to post the specifics of your hardware for us to see. Also, my friend has had 2 of these scanners and both of them have had the same problem, they generate scans like this:

www.driventechnologies.com/images/2200c-scan-screen-cap.jpg

I have been working with her second scanner, and it has the same issue on both her Win98SE PC and my secondary Win2K PC. I tried different USB hosting devices (add-in card vs onboard), cables, software (her Precision Scan LTX and my Precision Scan Pro 3.1 software from my HP 5470c at work), and all kinds of updates and drivers. I am calling HP today to see if there is something that can be done to reset the unit as it almost seems like the scanner bar is out of sync with the internal CCD/processing unit.

I'm really having any image quality problems, just the softare letting me down in XP. Here's the specs of the two machines i've tried. As you'll see, about the only thing they have in common is the o/s and a via chipset on the board.

System 1:

Athlon XP 1600+

512 MB Crucial DDR Ram

30 Gig Western digital Hdd

Epox 8KHA+ Mobo

Aopen Case With 300 Watt PSU

SB Live Value

Intel Pro 100 NIC

Plextor CDRW

Liteon DVD

System 2:

PIII 700e

512 MB PC133 Ram

6 Gig Quantum Hdd

Aopen AX34 Pro II Mobo

Macase Case With 300 Watt PSU

On board audio

3Com 100 tx NIC

Both systems work well with the scanner in win2k

Both fail in the same manner with XP

Both systems produce hiss through the speakers as soon as the Scanner is connected.

Cheers,

Giskard

Try the Precision Scan Pro 3.1 software. It works with the 2200c even if it does show more options being available than the scanner will handle. Look up software for a ScanJet 5470c, and you will get a link for it. It's WAY more stable than the LTX version, as I haven't been getting anymore crashes (just screwed up images :)).

Well, i got a little further with the Pro 3.1 software. Can do a preview scan, but when i start the full scan, it craps itself in exactly the same fashion. Any other ideas?

Cheers,

G

I have exactly the same problem, but under w2k.

When I launch Precision Scan LTX, it hangs and tries to access the floppy disk until I close the HP process.

Did anybody find the solution? frown

Thanks, sorry for my poor english!

Hi,

I found the solution to this extremely common problem with my ScanJet 4300C (that is, PrecisionScan LTX v. 1.1 hanging on start under Windows XP/2000). The key is HP's document:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docum...ocname=bps05156

My problem was having a link to My Computer in my Start menu. As the software scans through the entire Start menu each time it runs, looking for compatible programs to scan to, it was trying to look through my entire computer (both hard drives and 4 network drives).

I simply removed the My Computer link from my Start menu and PrecisionScan LTX began working correctly. You may need to remove other links, but any links in your Start menu that connect directly to My Computer, a hard drive, or a network location will probably cause the same problem.

I hope that helps.