Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rjf841

Intel 440BX Mobo @ 133MHz FSB

Hello all.

I have a Asus P3B-F mobo (Intel 440BX chipset), which I have been running a 550MHz P3 (100MHz FSB) for quite some time. The board does not officially support 133MHz FSB, although there are several options in the bios, one of which allows you to make this setting.

I have acquired a 733MHz P3 CPU (FCGPA), and have added it to my system (using an Abit Socket 370 to Slot 1 converter). Upon doing so, I also adjusted my FSB to 133MHz. My question is, what sort of harm could I be causing my system by doing so? Here are my system specs:

Asus P3B-F Mobo (Intel 440BX chipset)

733MHz P3 CPU FCGPA

512MB Micron ECC PC133 SDRAM

Maxtor 20GB ATA100 HDD

IBM 20GB HDD

Philips 4x CDRW

Sony 50x CDROM

Geforce 2 MX

Intel 10/100 Pro+ Dual Port NIC

Real Magic Hollywood+ DVD Decoder

Generic Sound

Promise ATA100 IDE Controller

Everything is running quite well, with no apparent issues. All hardware/heatsinks are at a comfortable temperature to the touch.

Any insight would be appreciated. Cheers.

R.

I think there's no real danger, as long as both cpu and ram are 133 FSB, the pci's and agp bus should support it (no prob. for the video card).

A lot of people have reported no problems with running the BX chipset at 133Mhz FSB.

You just need to remember that although the BIOS allows you to make that setting you are in fact over-clocking the chipset, which in turn means you are over-clocking the PCI & AGP bus.

Keep an eye on temperatures.

If anything is going to cause you problems it will be video cards or PCI cards.

I think with the BX chipset the only thing that will be out of spec would be your agp card (2/3 divider = ~89 mhz). There is a 1/4 pci divider that kicks in at 133 fsb.

So if your video card can handle the out of spec speed, you should be ok.

DT