Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iluvekrystle

alcatel usb modem problems in xp

Firstly, if its connect to a VIA chipset motherboard and its a dual, theres your problem right there and can only be solved at present by installing a USB card, such as the many that Belkin do.

Secondly, you should make sure you are using the 1.4 drivers that are compliant with Windows XP.

Anything else, and I have no idea unless you give me more to go on!

Call your DSL ISP and ask them to replace the alcatel with a different manufacturer. (alcatel=POS)

I know my modem isnt a Alcatel but I had a similar problem with my Terajet as it kept on disconnecting after about 10 secs. I managed to fix it by reseting my bios to the default settings and then it worked when I came back into windows ...

Hope this helps

RandyC

I have an alcatel modem and a via chipset mobo (abit kt7r) there is a know poblem with the frog and via chipset mobos with the usb port not supplying enough power to the modem.

Make sure you only have the frog on the usb port.

In the system properties( device manager), disable power saving for the the usb hub and the network adapter.

enable 'enhance chipset performance in the bios and make sure the bios doesn't assign a irq to the usb port

If none of the above works get a belkin usb card or a powered usb hub

I can not be more specific as I don't know which mobo you have.

maybe you could post back with the mobo you have, and maybe able to help more

ok Thanks TELcool

Never heard of that mobo mate

Have you tried disabling the power saving features on the usb hub and the and the network adapters, in device manager?

Is your system overclocked?

As I said in my previous post the modem is drawing a lot of power

(500mA) from the usb port and so the port shuts down to protect your PC. You may have to us a powered usb hub to supply more power.

also check out the forums on this site http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Thanks Tel