Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ahearnb

Max Payne (XP) Problems!

Hey guys,

I can't get Max Payne to run. With the 22.80 drivers it froze and gave a weird screen with lines and stuff. Switched to 21.83 and it exits to the desktop when I try to start a new game or whatever.

Anyone know what could be happening? I've tried many, many things...exiting all programs, etc.

Specs:

K7T266 Pro-RU (MS - 6380) motherboard

AMD Athlon XP 1800+ processor

256 MB 2100 DDR Ram

GeForce 3 Ti 200 Video Card

Soundblaster Live! X-gamer 5.1 soundcard

30 GB HD

10 GB HD

Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1212

Hewlett Packard 8250i 4x4x24 CD-RW

Realtek RTL8139(A) PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

U.S. Robotics 56K Win Modem

CyberMax CS900 19" Monitor

Altec Lansing ACS45.1W speakers

Windows XP Pro

Brad

It did that to me the first time I played it as well. I installed the latest patch for the game and it then ran without problems on my GF3 with the 21.83 drivers.

I didn't have to patch the game to get it working on my Win2k rig though.

Yeah, it worked! ...

But, now I still have these freezing problems. I'll play the game for a few minutes, but then it will freeze and the screen will have a bunch of dots and lines and crap. Then it will give me an error message saying that it has gone through an infinite loop and to check for updated drivers. Then it gives technical info:

***STOP: (0x000000EA (0xFF916020, 0xFF937B70, 0x81AAC050, 0x00000001)

Anybody know what to do now?

I thought I had it fixed!

Brad

The game is running fine for me with the latest nvidia drivers but once I (*caution spoiler ahead*) shoot the antenna down onto the helicopter the game crashes before the conclusion cutscene plays.

Are you guys running in Win98 compat mode or just pure XP?

I played through the whole game again recently under XP, and apart from having to patch it, I didn't encounter a problem. The game played from start to finish.

Maybe it's not related to your video card though. Could be something to do with the sound card. Can you change the drivers for it, or maybe pull it out and try without sound.

Quote:

I played through the whole game again recently under XP, and apart from having to patch it, I didn't encounter a problem. The game played from start to finish.

Maybe it's not related to your video card though. Could be something to do with the sound card. Can you change the drivers for it, or maybe pull it out and try without sound.

Hey Burser!

-You post on OCUK don't ya wink -wonder how many others there r on ere!

Anyway, mesa got similar 'exit to desktop' probs under XP, but fine under 98. -where can I get the patch from... the last time I tried to get it from the MaxPayne site it said the file didn't exist.

Took the soundcard out, and no problems! God, I hate Creative. I have a SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 X-Gamer that I downloaded the newest drivers for (from Creative). But when I go to Windows Update, it gives me a driver to install for my soundcard. Maybe I should try that one?

This makes no sense to me.

Brad

Installing the drive from WindowsUpdate probably won't do any harm, and I doubt it can make things worse. Now I know why I went for a Sonic Fury card in my new system smile

Didn't work....man, this is frustrating. Reinstalled the driver's from Creative's website...no difference.

How is this possible?!?!

Brad

Quote:

Yup, sure do post over on OcuK smile

As for the pacth, you can get it from here

Thanks 4 the link -although the patch won't <<cough>> install for me <<cough>>, so I'll just have to keep playing it under 98se I suppose.

only problem with max Payne i have is during the movie for the start of the campaign the sound disappears have way through the movie frown

SB Live

Win XP

1GB RAM

Gefore 2 Pro

Pentium 3 450.