Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zhenkai

Hard Disk not performing well in WinXP

Just tried HDTach with my new rig and the results were shocking. I was getting max transfer of 31MB/sec and cpu utilization 64% I remember doing alot better in Win2K. Anyone know what's wrong? Specs below

Have You checked that DMA ATA-100 is being utilised, check in the properties of the primary or secondary IDE controller in device manager. It should say DMA if available in transfer mode, and underneath it should be Ultra DMA mode 5.

If it does not say this check your BIOS and make sure it is enabled in your bios.

Ok I looked at the IDE controllers and I don't see such options. I've updated my bios and all UDMA settings in my bios was already set to auto (Had a choice of Auto or disabled) any ideas?

First you should try to:

1. download and install the latest VIA 4-in1 driver from www.via.com.tw or www.viatech.com

2. look in your device manager under "IDE-Controllers" and doubleclick "Primary..." and choose in "options" "U-DMA-moder if avail". The same is to do with "Secondary...".

Then you should:

1. hope that the CPU-Utilisation decreases

2. hope that the Harddisk is so fast like in Win2k wink

p.s. if you don't find any options in your IDE-Controllers-tab to adjust the ATA-Mode of your IDE-Devices then you should search for a little programm named "VIAutil" or similar - with this programm it was (is) possible to adjust the ATA-Mode of Harddisks (But I don't know if this Tool is involved in newer releases of the 4-in-1 drivers).

regards

Quote:

The program for altering your UDMA properties is called the Via DMA tool and is included with the VIA IDE miniport and is available from:

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

Try installing this and see if it makes it any better.

Ok I've tried installing latest 4 in 1 drivers. Played with bios and still no option.

BTW I can't find the Via Dma tool can you give me the direct link. Thanks

Quote:

The IDE tool is included with the miniport drivers on the via website, a direct link to the download is:

http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/others/IDE_MPD3014.zip

PS: When your computer boots up what does it say in the POST screen, with reference to hard drives or IDE controllers, does it say what DMA mode is being use for your hard disk.

Nope it doesn't say the dma mode it's on. The hard disk is detected when it's trying to detect ATA100 and Raid drives (I have a Raid mobo). With the IDE tool I only see my dvd and cd rewriter and not my hard disk.

Quote:

In XP...

Is this 'troubled/poor performer' of a disk listed as BASIC disk OR DYNAMIC disk type?

* ?

APK

Where in XP do I check this?