Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CounterCW

XP Xplosion!

Well, I was using Windows XP for a little while..

Then, I noticed that even when I shut down properly and booted up again, XP would say "Windows needs to check this disk for consistency", and sure enough it would go about deleting some orphan files, etc..

It was doing so once every little while, and nothing went wrong.

THEN, one time, it did that disk checking thing, and then I lost all my IIS settings! I had to uninstall IIS and reinstall it, not to mention reconfigure the whole darn thing with mappings, etc..

and THEN, the other morning, it does it's disk checking again, and now I realize the c:\windows\system32\config\system is MISSING. Windows couldn't even boot up!!

So, I try the Recovery thing off the original CD, and GEEZ... that thing is crap. All it is is a stupid command prompt. I have no idea what you are going to do besides backup your existing data.... sheesh. Even NT4's recovery was better than this...

Needless to say, I'm a little stressed out over the fact I have to redo my whole computer again... all that time... all my programs... I have to reinstall. Hooray.

p.s. avoid those stupid "Windows needs to check this disk for consistency" things like the plague...

I've never had that problems on 2000....

Did you check all your hardware to see why you are getting the data corruption (bad ram, failing disk, etc...)? Did you try restoring to last known good configuration from the boot menu (F8)?

Hmmmm, were you running antivirus software? If so, was it completely updated? This sounds like you could have gotten a virus. That's my guess.