Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ahearnb

How to load internet connection before ICQ?

Hi,

I have ICQ and I set it to load at startup of Windows. I've had this setup before. And it worked fine. Well, now when Windows XP start up, it says it cannot connect to ICQ. But then I try to connect and it works fine. I guess that lead me to the conclusion that ICQ tries to load before my internet connection (LAN, T1 line) is recognized. I have heard that WinXP loads faster - one reason being that it is still loading in the background...so I guess it loads ICQ, then my internet connection.

So, does anyone know how to fix this?

You guys are smart; I'm sure someone knows. smile

Thanks!

Brad

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone. smile

But, on a brighter note, I KNOW that someone has a fix for this! I just hope they visit this message board and see this thread. smile

Brad

You could edit the registry and change the order in which your programs are loaded. First come, first serve kinda thing.

Other then that.. I'm sure I've seen a program that can delay a program starting for x amount of seconds. Personaly I'd edit the registry.

Cynan,

That's kinda what I'm trying to find out - What do I have to edit in the registry to fix the situation? If you know, please indulge me. I'm dumm. smile

Thanks!

Brad

This is the key that my copy of ICQ was loaded up in: -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

AFAIK, the ordering in there does dictate what is loaded first. SO try that and hopefully it'll do what you want. smile

If you move it from the registry into your startup folder, it should load a lot later...

Hmmm.....nothing in there about ICQ.

I tried disabling it in the program and just putting a link to ICQ in the startup folder. No go - that was the only thing I tried though...

Any more ideas?

Brad

ICQ will be in there somewhere. Try looking under the CURRENT_USER key in the same place.

Yep, under current user. Now what do I do to make it start earlier? Like I said...I'm not too good with this...walk me through it. smile

Brad

Create a new string value with the name of say, 'A' (so that its first on the list) and enter the path/filename to ICQ for the value.

I'm fairly sure it does load them like that *fingers crossed for you*.

Nope...same problem.

I tried "Z" too...in hopes that it would load AFTER my internet settings, which is what I want.

Good try :), anybody else?

Brad

I heard there's a proggy called Startup Manager... Try to fix some things with it... smile

Hey, a friend of mine was telling me this morning about a console command called BatchMan. It allows you to delay a program from running until a specified time.

That should definatly! sort out your problem... sorry I don't have a link to it.

--Cynan.

Thanks for the help guys!!

Ya know what's weird...last night I had to shut off my PC cause it locked up - couldn't shut it down properly...so this morning I turn it on, and ICQ loads! couldn't believe it...maybe it is just this one time. smile

Brad

Ok, I dloaded and installed that BatchMan program...but I have NO idea how to work the darn thing. smile

Also, I find it strange that when I have to restart by pressing the button on the front of my PC (because of it freezing) that ICQ loads up as it should...strange.

Brad