Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
INFERNO2000

Audigy Platinum EX or Game Theater XP in WinXP?

Which one would you guys prefer based upon performance issues(i.e. actually working)?

This iwill be used in a dual Athlon WinXP system

My only experiences with the Game Theater XP are bad. The control panel crashes occasionally, playback of mpegs results in major skipping unless the sound acceleration is turned down (and it has this nasty habit of turning it back up when you reboot) and EAX support is dodgy in some programs. The drivers have improved a lot since it first came out but it still needs much work.

Audigy I can't comment on, but I've heard a few people say good things about it.

My audigy works perfect, I have no driver issues or sound issues.

However I will say upon moving my highpoint raid controller to a pci slot underneith the card I had some noise on boot up. However moving the raid card back above the soundcard removed it completely.

I also have a amd and kt133a chipset and have had no compatability issues with it.

I haven't had any of the experiences that Xiven seem to be having. I have used both of the sounds cards in WinXP. I originally had the Game Theatre installed and then decided to upgrade to the Audigy Platinum EX. The Audigy card is a nice sound card, but the sound quality was not as good and overall performance wasn't that great either. For $200 USD I was a little disappointed and ended up taking it back for a full refund and puting my Game Theatre back in!

I have the hardware acceleration cranked up all the way and I haven't had a single hiccup since. I play tons of games with 5.1 sound and all is good. No pops, scratches, or problems at all. It is by far one of the best cards I have ever used. Two thumbs up! ; )

People buy soundcards from a company wirth such a bad technical support (liveware 4 anyone?).

Besides, Audidy is not even a TRUE 24 bit/96 khz soundcard.

Add terratec ewx to your list.

Quote:

People buy soundcards from a company wirth such a bad technical support (liveware 4 anyone?).

Besides, Audidy is not even a TRUE 24 bit/96 khz soundcard.
Add terratec ewx to your list.

I haven't had any issues with any of their cards since my SB16. They work, and have always worked well. I have had cards from several other vendors, and I have various driver issues from time to time. With this line, I just don't have these problems.

Audigy has a newer DSP than the Herc GTXP. I can't speak for the XP functioning, but it sure seems to be doin' fine under 2k.

I'll probably end up going to XP sooner or later, and I'll let ya know how things go then...

The last creative card I had was the SB16PCI--works great!!!

Audigy here too, no problems - had slight issue getting drivers/software in XP as the driver disk has upto W2K only, other than that fine.

I had a GTXP earlier this year under W2K/WinME dual-boot, was o.k. in ME but in 2K control panel crashed a lot (especially plugging in headphones) EAX was dodgy (UT sounded terrible), in the end sold it and got a Live until Audigy came out.