Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sapiens74

TV Tuner CARD

Just curious in which TV tuner card would be good for WindowsXP. Need something under $100.

Thanks

The only two things I can think of are a shaky proposition at best.

Voodoo 100 or 200TV, or the ATI TV-wonder. Driver support is questionable even tho ATI might be a better shot, as that company's still in business. Unfortunately, ATI has be lacking in general with driver support.

Well what about Hauppage WinTV series of cards. They say they have XP drivers out and claim it works fine.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

i have a wintv pci card. works fine up to a certain extent.

If i use the 2k drivers that come with the card, it works fine. However, apparently they have released drivers and apps that work in XP, however this was not the case for me. If i updated drivers, it wouldnot load the application with various errors.

I've found up[censored] WinTV to be troublesome in the past but the WinXP drivers do work.

The W2K ones give a much sharper image, but fast moving objects (e.g. in sport) get a form of tearing around the edges. The XP ones utilise deinterlacing, the image isn't as sharp but tearing is reduced. Switching to full screen is quicker as it just resizes the picture to your desktop resolution but the picture can be jerky if WinTV isn't the active application and something CPU intensive is going on in the background. This doesn't happen with the W2K drivers.

Either way, card works fine - picture definitely better than ATI-TV (had one once)

Thanks for the ideas guys, never had one so I wanted to make sure which was a good bargain for my buck. I'll try the WinTV today to see how it works. Just got my WinXP and My LCD in, now I just need my DSL and all will be cool.

Thanks,

Jonathan

I'd have to say Hauppauge WinTV as well. I've had an STB TV (3dfx VoodooTV), an ATI TV Wonder VE, and now a WinTV Go. The Hauppauge is definitely the most compatible with NT 5.x, and has a better picture. Just make sure you stay away from ATI. That was the worst product I've ever owned. I'm not sure what ATI is thinking with the whole "drivers by mail" thing.

Hauppages drivers are crap for WindowsXP, they dont work at all and ive tried them 3 times and also The Hauppage TVCard Remote doesnt work under NT for some reason.I wouldnt recommend it at all.

---------------------------------------

1.2Ghz AMD Athlon Thunderbird @ 1.32Ghz

Gigabyte 71XE4 M/Board

512MB PC133 Hyundai RAM

NVIDIA 64MB GeForce 2MX200 AGP

Seagate 40GB 5400Rpm ATA/100 HDD

Lite-On 16/10/40 BurnProof ReWriter

40x Compaq CDRom Drive

Hauppage PrimioFM WinTV/Radio Card

Creative SoundBlaster 128PCI

NetGear 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet Adapter - cable connection

Blackwidow 648 USB Scanner

Epson 580 USB Printer

WindowsXP Professional Corporate Platinum Edition

WindowsXP Plus Pack!

OfficeXP Professional with FrontPage

Publisher XP

----------------------------------------

My Site - www.wintweaks.com2.info

Hauppauge WinTV remote works for me under WinXP Pro. I've gone back to using the W2K drivers as I got a couple of BSOD's with the XP drivers, plus CPU usage is way higher with the XP drivers due to using XP's desktop features for deinterlacing (XP, upto 35% CPU, 2K drivers never more than 5%) - other than that it works a charm.

I wouldnt suggest wintv card because mine has been a pain in the but since day 1 with drivers and such believe me I have tried every damn driver on there site and had there tech help me to finally get it working 1 time .But after a new motherboard change it hasnt worked since and I am not that big of a lamer and I do know enough about computers that I know the right drivers for it but still problems .Dont get wintv u will be sorry u did

OMG

talk about resurrecting a thread from the dead.

last post before yours Slamnpit was 4 years ago!!!

I am sure he bought one by now lol

didn't think posts stuck around that long

S