Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
2gr84u

Error in installation of XP

Hi!

When i install WinXP the text based setup works fine, but when the computer restarts and the graphics based setup starts the following errors appears..

"GUI mode Setup has started.

SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file "D:\I386\asms\6000\MSFT\WINDOWS\COMMON\CONTROLS\CONTROLS.MAN" on line 0.

Failed to install assembly from manifest: "D:\I386\asms\6000\MSFT\WINDOWS\COMMON\CONTROLS\CONTROLS.MAN"; Win32 Error Code = 14055

Installation Failed: D:\I386\asms. Error Message : Manifest Parse Error : Invalid at the top level of the document.

One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

Manifest Parse Error : Invalid at the top level of the document.

GUI mode Setup has ended because of a fatal error."

Does anyone recognize the problem?

Help!

I've also tried to install WinXp on my portable (Compaq Armada 7400)

but the same problem? Strange!!!

Must be the magnetic fields in my apartment! smile

The CD is genuine (Pro) and have been installed on another comp.

I've tried it on an IDE HD and SCSI HD but the same problem.

Of coz, both HD's could be corrupted, but scanned them both and no problemos,

I've also tried to install it without any HW installed, except the

graphics card! smile

The latest BIOS is also installed...

Lack of ideas!!!

Hoho!!!

I've tried that, and two different graphic cards!!!

I was wondering if i coould choose another HAL config during the installation? Maybe probs. with ACPI?

U won't believe this, visited MSI's homepage and the forum (my MB is Microstar) and it seems that the MB doesn't support XP? And there will be no BIOS update either??? What do you say about that?

Well next time i build a comp. i won't choose MSI, that's for sure!!!

Thanks anyway!

k heres what u do...u have to have the rc-1 or rc2 cd.. goto the d:\i386\asms\6000\msft\windows\common\controls\ and copy the controls.man file on to ur desktop... have a blank diskette and make the same directory like a:\i386\asms\6000\msft\windows\common\controls... after u make the directorys copy the controls.man u put on ur desktop on to the disk and put ur original windows xp cd in .. not the rc and copy the controls.cat and comctl32.dll files from the same directory where ur controls.man is and place them onto the diskette.. turn on ur computer but take ur cd out and when it asks for the cd put in the diskette and click ok and type in a:\i386 into the bar and it will load it and then ask for the cd and put the cd in and it will work :-) i just done it too!!

I've tried your solution but it didn't work, the same error mesaage appears.

I had to copy the other files from the original CD, I don't have the RC1 or RC2, don't know how important that is?

If so, can you mail me the right files?

2gr84u@swipnet.se

what the whole problem with the manifest is that the controls.man file is blank but shows up as 1.74 kbs or however it is.. so in notepad just copy and paste this

---------------------------------------------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">

<assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"/>

<file name="comctl32.dll" hash="9d036b8437b4b115365f1248b832d32a83af4a60" hashalg="SHA1">

<windowClass>ToolbarWindow32</windowClass>

<windowClass>ComboBoxEx32</windowClass>

<windowClass>msctls_trackbar32</windowClass>

<windowClass>msctls_updown32</windowClass>

<windowClass>msctls_progress32</windowClass>

<windowClass>msctls_hotkey32</windowClass>

<windowClass>msctls_statusbar32</windowClass>

<windowClass>SysHeader32</windowClass>

<windowClass>SysListView32</windowClass>

<windowClass>SysTreeView32</windowClass>

<windowClass>SysTabControl32</windowClass>

<windowClass>SysIPAddress32</windowClass>

<windowClass>SysPager</windowClass>

<windowClass>NativeFontCtl</windowClass>

<windowClass>Button</windowClass>

<windowClass>Static</windowClass>

<windowClass>Listbox</windowClass>

<windowClass>ScrollBar</windowClass>

<windowClass>SysLink</windowClass>

<windowClass>tooltips_class32</windowClass>

<windowClass>ButtonListBox</windowClass>

<windowClass>SysAnimate32</windowClass>

<windowClass>SysMonthCal32</windowClass>

<windowClass>SysDateTimePick32</windowClass>

<windowClass>ReBarWindow32</windowClass>

<windowClass>Edit</windowClass>

<windowClass>Combobox</windowClass>

<windowClass>ComboLBox</windowClass>

</file>

</assembly>

--------------------------------------------------------------------

now save this as controls.man and on a blank diskette and make these directories for example: a:\I386\asms\6000\msft\windows\common\controls\ just like that.. and put the controls.man file u made on it and copy the comctl32.dll and controls.cat from ur d:\I386\asms\6000\msft\windows\common\controls\ directory on to the a directory.. now when the setup comes up if u already tried it b4 and got manifest parse errors.. when u turn on ur computer take out ur cd and dont pop ur diskette in until it asks for a cd or diskette and when it does click ok and type in a:\i386 and it should load them files and then bring up another dialog box and when that happens just put in the cd and if necessary type in d:\i386 and there ya go :-) email me at og8763@aol.com if u have any further questions

hopefully it works for ya and if it doesnt it do it right just email me and i can help ya out :-) see bein a computer genious at 14 is awesome lol

Hey the Kid is right, just follow what he said copy the files onto the diskette and run the setup program again with out the CD in the drive. It worked for me! I am glad to see our youth getting smarter over the ages! Good luck bro!!!!