Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BladeRunner

Any P4 S478 users out there? What MB you got?

Hi all,

Just wondering what motherboard you P4 S478 users have got.

I'm doing some very early pricing up on P4 systems.

The ASUS P4T-E is looking favourite due to it's Northwood compatability, although the ABit unit looks nice too.

Not too keen on getting an Intel MB - If any current S478 MB isn't going to be Northwood compatible it will be the Intel one! smile

I'm using a p4 s478, on a Shuttle AV40, first via chipset motherboard I have used. I like very well so far, I ready many reviews before purchasing it, it received high ratings. I opted for it becuase DDR is cheap when compared with RAMBUS. As far as stability I have had excellent stability with it, even with my p4 1.7@ 2ghz. I would recommend it for a DDR solution.

The non-RIAD version of the ABit board (Due to me owning a Promise RAID controller) was certainly another option I was looking at.

Smokinkane - So the VIA based DDR boards is working well for you then?

I know that DDR is certainly a lot cheaper than RIMM's but one of the main reasons I was looking at an Intel 850 based motherboard was, well I've been stung by non-Intel chipsets in the past.

The Intel based boards just seem to 'feel' that bit more stable.

But, I'm certainly one who listens to other people's experiences, so maybe a VIA based S478 board isn't such a bad idea?

Bladerunner,

I've been stuck on Intel chipsets since 1995, I never had any real problems with them, so as the new chipsets came out, I bought them. I didn't even really ever look at the competition. When I decided on a P4 solution, I knew I couldn't afford the 850 boards with their rambus. I was real sceptical about using a via chipset motherboard, I read a bunch of reviews, and it seemed everybody camed that stability was not an issue. Hardocp even said the board was "the pinnacle of stablity." That is exactly what I have had, I would recommmend this board to anybody wanting a p4 solution. I use WinXp and leave my computer on 24hours a day, the only time I reboot when I install new software.

I'd lean toward Asus myself, but that's just me.

Abit hasn't been the greatest company in the stability department, IMO, but they're not awful either, just not the best.