Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
evil Homer

Hard Drive Controllers gone screwy!

I upgraded the bios on my KT7A-RAID today, which has caused some unusual side effects.

In Device Manager, under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, I now have the following:

Primary BM ULTRA DMA Channel

Primary IDE Channel <---------- Exclamation Mark

Secondary IDE Channel

VIA Busmaster IDE Controller

Now, earlier I had totally lost my CD-RW drive which is on the secondary channel. At this point, the Primary IDE, Secondary IDE and a Secondary BM ULTRA DMA Channel were all exclamated.

I uninstalled the Seconday BM ULTRA DMA one, which has returned the CD-RW to me, but I'm unsure whether I'm still getting the same drive performance from my system with drivers being disabled.

I can only assume its because of the BIOS change, I have no idea otherwise.

Athlon 1.2Ghz

768Mb RAM

Abit KT7A-RAID (Bios Rev: 4A)

Geforce 3

SB Live Player 5.1

Windows XP Pro

Heh, seems this week my pc has decided to be a stubborn little git.

Thanks in advance,

Homer

I forgot to add, I installed the new VIA Busmaster driver earlier last week, but everything was ok after it.

Check that all your BIOS settings are correct (flashing the BIOS resets most of the settings). If that doesn't help, try downgrading the BIOS to the version it was at before.

Everything was running fine for a couple of days, but I still wasn't happy with the driver situation... I removed the new VIA Busmaster Driver, and now suffer a familiar BSOD on bootup.

Guess that I can reinstall over the top of my installation to correct it, but won't be able to try that till tonight.

Homer