Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ZoSo

DNS Error?

I'm running XP Pro. How can I stop this error?

Event Type: Error

Event Source: ipnathlp

Event Category: None

Event ID: 31008

Date: 11/4/2001

Time: 2:27:06 AM

User: N/A

Computer: MAIN

Description:

The DNS proxy agent was unable to read the local list of name-resolution servers from the registry. The data is the error code.

Thanks,

What is your name resolution scheme? Are you using internal DNS (Internet Connection Sharing, NT/2K DNS, Linux (BIND), NAT/Gateway, etc.) or just your ISP? How long has this been going on? Can the affected machine get out to the Internet (I didn't know if you were posting from the affected machine or not)?

Quote:
What is your name resolution scheme?

What is that?

Quote:
Are you using internal DNS (Internet Connection Sharing, NT/2K DNS, Linux (BIND), NAT/Gateway, etc.) or just your ISP?

I'm using ICS with a modem(no wise cracks:D ) I have a NIC installed in this machine also.

Quote:
How long has this been going on?

As far as I can tell, since I installed XP (fresh install)

Quote:
Can the affected machine get out to the Internet (I didn't know if you were posting from the affected machine or not)?

Yes, with no problems.

It seems to do it when I'm using the other PC, but that one has no problem using ICS either.
I disabled LMHOST lookup for the NIC in the host machine, and that seemed to work, so far.

Quote:

It seems to do it when I'm using the other PC, but that one has no problem using ICS either.
I disabled LMHOST lookup for the NIC in the host machine, and that seemed to work, so far.

The XP machine with the error is acting as the ICS server? And, you are only getting this error when the other machine is trying to access sites while going through ICS? Is this correct? Also, disabling LMHOSTS file shouldn't be an issue in this case since that refers to NetBIOS name resolution, and you *seem* to be having a DNS problem.

Yeah, disabling LMHOST didn't do it.

I get the same error on both machines.

And it does it whether the other machine is on or not, I just noticed that tonight.

Here's a pic of my TCP/IP for the NIC in the host machine.

Should there be a DNS address in there?

nictcpip.jpg

smile

Oh dear, I thought that ICS set all this stuff up for you (I never use it), but NORMALLY, you would have the DNS entries filled with the IPs of your DNS servers (either local or your ISP's). I was under the impression that ICS would set the client up to use DHCP, and that the hosting machine would assign IPs to other Windows boxes on the network so they could get out to the "real world".

OK, would someone who uses ICS *please* get into this conversation, as I am not sure how this should proceed. If this is the hosting box, I would say put in your ISP's DNS server IPs and give that a shot. The ICS software should forward that request through your modem when you are online, or try to connect if not online (or does it behave like a multi-homed system and demand the address of the other adapter, in this case the modem? Or, does it ask for the local IP instead so it can bounce the DNS request off of the ICS software?). If that image is from a client, then I would say put the IP of the hosting box in that primary DNS entry.

If someone reads this in error, please speak up. I am used to having dedicated boxes handling NAT rather than using ICS. These suggestions are more from memories of some old proxy software packages I used a long time ago.

OK I put my ISP's DNS addresses in the host machine NIC DNS and put in the host NIC IP address in the client NIC DNS, so far so good.

I'm going to let it run for awhile and see what happens.

As far as I can see, the only thing that ICS setup was the IP addresses for the NICs.

Thanks for the help so far, it's much appreciated.

It's been about 25 minutes since I made the changes, and so far so good. I even restarted the client machine, that usually brought the error up on it.

I'll see what happens between now and tomorrow.

One thing though, why would the NIC in the host machine need the ISP DNS addresses when the modem is the one connecting to the ISP?

Thanks again,

i use ics here and the nic that connects to the lan is just set up with an ip (192.168.0.1) and a subnet mask. on the client machines i enter static ips (192.168.0.x) and subnet mask and both the gateway and the dns are set to 192.168.0.1

sounds like you have it set up the same way now

you shouldn't have any more problems

Damm I thought we had it, but I got the error again. This time the client machine wasn't even on.

Question: Since I'm using Dial-Up and when I'm not online, I would assume that the DNS proxy agent is still looking for a local list of name-resolution servers from the registry. Is this right?

If so, then I would only get the error when I'm offline? or If everything is set properly I should'nt get any errors, online or offline?

OK I think I found out when it happens.

Both system are off, Power on host machine, connect to ISP, BAM!

So I poked around in the TCP/IP Properties of my ISP connection. Under the DNS tab I unchecked "Register this connection's addresses in DNS"(see image)

modtcpip.jpg

Powered down the system, and powered back on about 5 minutes later, connected to my ISP, no error! Powered on client system, no errors!

I think that did the trick. I 'll update later today.

Thanks for all the help,

Cool! That would make sense, as your ISP's DNS servers would either not be able to accept DDNS (Dynamic DNS) updates, or not be allowed to do so. It's generally reserved for Win2K DNS servers (I don't think any other DNS systems allow dynamic updates), so I can't imagine that you would be affected by leaving it disabled on both machines.

Got the error again mad

Here's what I'm trying now.

wins.jpg

Both NIC's and the ISP where selected to use NetBIOS setting from DHCP server. So I changed them to what is in the image.

What do you guys think?

Do you know of a good website that can explain all these settings in layman terms ;( ? , so I don't have to keep bugging you's. wink

Normally, you can right click on something and a "What's this?" selection will come up. Those usually have pretty decent explanations.

Now, to get you up to speed on WinXP networking (and networking in general), check this out:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treevie...jj_ipa_irjk.asp

Just follow along the TOC on the left, and you can browse the topics or just read straight through.

AAHHH, I'm still getting that damm error. But it seems to take a longer time now.

BTW, thanks for the link.